Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Help me choose a processor for Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello!

Already have graphics card: MSI GeForce GTX 1650 D6 GAMING X 4G (GDDR6)
RAM: Samsung DDR4 16GB 3200MHz

Please help me choose the most suitable processor for Dolphin.

I'm considering these:
1. Ryzen 3 3100
2. Ryzen 3 3300X

Q: Will the Ryzen 3 3100 be much worse than the Ryzen 3 3300X?
What games might experience performance issues? Or should I not be concerned?

I know that Ryzen 3 3300X is the best choice, but hot, while Ryzen 3 3100 is cold.
I also heard that Ryzen 3 3100 can be overclocked. Does it make sense? What is the safe/recommended overclock threshold?
And the Ryzen 3 3300X heard that you can lower the voltage and it will be colder.
And what about the statistics of the quality of processors?

What do you ultimately recommend? Which build is best?

- Ryzen 3 3100 + MSI GeForce GTX 1650 D6 GAMING X 4G (GDDR6)
or
- Ryzen 3 3300X + MSI GeForce GTX 1650 D6 GAMING X 4G (GDDR6)

I play for example these games: Eternal Darkness, Silent Hill, Fatal Frame.

I apologize in advance for my bad English, it's not my native language.
Do you have the motherboard already. Do you live in United States or do you live in a different country. As that going to affect prices. The reason the r3 3300x run hotter is because the cores on the same ccx while the r3100 is on two different ccx. This something that isn't issue in newer 5000 or newer since amd did away with this with 5000 series. I don't plan on going deeper but it cause the per clock performance be a little lower then the r3 3300x.
As for the difference there will likely be a decent difference between the cpus, however if it a major price difference then just go for the r3 3100. That say in United States the r5 5600 is cheaper then what I finding the r3 3100x or 3300x for and would be faster.
If you don't have a motherboard already you can get 12/13 gen motherboard that supports ddr4 memory and i3 or i5 for under 200 dollars that would also be faster then those 2 cpus.
Anandtech tested both CPUs in Dolphin - the 3300X is something like 10% faster than the 3100:
And technically, as you say, that means you could underclock the 3300X to 3.4GHz and then undervolt it some to make it run cooler (possibly cooler than even the 3100).

However, it's worth noting that, unless you're looking at Ryzen 5000 processors or newer or you wanted to use integrated graphics (I hope you didn't buy the GPU specifically for this build and you just happened to already have it since Ryzen integrated graphics are usually plenty for Dolphin), it's usually better to go with lower-end Intel i3 CPUs or the like for specifically emulation unless you're able to get those aforementioned 3100 or 3300X for extremely cheap to the point that the likes of an i3-10100/F or i3-12100/F isn't even worth it.

Heck, it might even be worth noting that the old i7-4790K CPU (or similarly-clocked 4th gen Intel like my own G3258 overclocked @ 4.5GHz - a CPU that goes for a mere $10-$15 USD, and quad core Xeon CPUs of the same generation go for a mere $15-$30 USD) is competitive with the Ryzen 3100 (though 4th gen Intel uses DDR3). You can see all of Anandtech's tested CPUs in Dolphin here (it's the same benchmark as in my signature):
Really, it's kind of difficult to not get a decent CPU for Dolphin nowadays, so it can at times just boils down to what works for your motherboard and the like.
Thanks for the detailed answer  Rolleyes