Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: About the location of Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi.

Recently I reinstalled Dolphin on my laptop after reinstalling Windows 11, but the program did not install on Program Files or any other folder (like I believe it did the previous time), but on the desktop. I am curious about several things:

1: What exactly does the installation of Dolphin do? I mean, does it create new files on some hidden folder or anything like that? I was able to run it by simply clicking the .exe, no installation process or anything.

2: Apart from the Documents folder and the main folder with the .exe and other files, are there any other folders or files that are necessary to run it?

3: Is it necessary to keep the .exe file inside the main folder along with the other files that come when you unzip the donwloaded folder?

4: Why does it say [HEAD] on the window title of Dolphin? I think it previously didn't (it is version 5.0-18182).

To clarify, I kept the Documents folder in an USB and copy-pasted it to my laptop before downloading Dolphin again.

Thanks everyone in advance.
With beta and development builds, you aren't really "installing" anything. Dolphin exists as a collection of files, and when you extract the package from dolphin-emu.org you have all the files Dolphin needs. On first run, Dolphin creates its global user directory (previously in My Documents, now in AppData) where it places your Dolphin data, such as saves, screenshots, etc. But the Dolphin executable and its files are still wherever you put them before you ran it.

Thanks to said global user directory, you can move Dolphin wherever you want, even after first run. But keep Dolphin.exe and all the files you extracted with it together. So the answer to your 3rd question is yes, very yes. Also don't put Dolphin into Program Files, that folder has all sorts of weird restrictions that don't do Dolphin any favours.

Regarding all the files Dolphin creates, we create a global user directory, and put everything else we create (such as saves) within that folder. That's it. You can create registry keys to override some global user directory behaviors but it is on you to make them, we don't make them ourselves. You can find out more about that here - https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/guides/cont...directory/

As for why it said [HEAD], you should not be seeing that, so that is probably just a whoops. As long as you downloaded Dolphin from our website (dolphin-emu.org, aka here) you'll be fine.
(02-07-2023, 08:14 PM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]With beta and development builds, you aren't really "installing" anything. Dolphin exists as a collection of files, and when you extract the package from dolphin-emu.org you have all the files Dolphin needs. On first run, Dolphin creates its global user directory (previously in My Documents, now in AppData) where it places your Dolphin data, such as saves, screenshots, etc. But the Dolphin executable and its files are still wherever you put them before you ran it.

Thanks to said global user directory, you can move Dolphin wherever you want, even after first run. But keep Dolphin.exe and all the files you extracted with it together. So the answer to your 3rd question is yes, very yes. Also don't put Dolphin into Program Files, that folder has all sorts of weird restrictions that don't do Dolphin any favours.

Regarding all the files Dolphin creates, we create a global user directory, and put everything else we create (such as saves) within that folder. That's it. You can create registry keys to override some global user directory behaviors but it is on you to make them, we don't make them ourselves. You can find out more about that here - https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/guides/cont...directory/  

As for why it said [HEAD], you should not be seeing that, so that is probably just a whoops. As long as you downloaded Dolphin from our website (dolphin-emu.org, aka here) you'll be fine.

Thanks for the response! You helped me a lot.

About the location of Dolphin, I think it went into Program Files the previous time I installed it (I don't know why), but it is now on my desktop.

And yes, I downloaded Dolphin from here, so I guess the [HEAD] thing is just a minor mistake as you say.