Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Linux vs Windows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Well when I say Linux I mean Debian, Fedora, and Ubuntu distros. Okay, like which one is betterz? I want to try using Linux, preferably Ubuntu or Fedora. I'm kinda familiar with the Unix file system stuff, but all the commands are completely new to me. How is power consumption, stability, and functionality compared to Windows? Is it possible to emulate Windows so I can keep Steam and all of my games? I want to use Linux for a number of reasons and more...

1. Want something different from Windows
2. There are almost no viruses for it
3. You have a lot of control over the system
4. I need to be familiar with Unix for college
5. I want to run a stable server with a Linux distribution
6. It's free and customizable!

I need opinions! plz?
First of all, you are limiting yourself to debian based distros. This is your first mistake. You need to learn more than just ubuntu... Consider an rpm based distro such as Open SuSE, Fedora, or CentOS. Maybe Slackware is up your alley. Or if you really are feeling like overcoming your pussy approach to *nix, try Gentoo.

1. Want something different from Windows
What do you want to do with the system? Play games? Go back to Windows. Edit Movies and Photos? Go back to Windows.
2. There are almost no viruses for it
There are no viruses yes, but there is more potential to have your entire system crumble with one command.
3. You have a lot of control over the system
See #2.
4. I need to be familiar with Unix for college
Buy the book Operating Systems Design and Implementation by Andrew S Tanenbaum. Learn his distro Minix (Case and point: this is exactly how Linus Torvalds did it.)
5. I want to run a stable server with a Linux distribution
All server editions are stable. You need to decide whether you want a desktop or server edition. You stated earlier you want "something different from windows", well guess what!?! Windows is desktop oriented.
6. It's free and customizable!
They all are. (Except for Redhat Linux, but that s*** is stupid, CentOS is the same thing.)

EDIT: I don't mean to flame man. I'm sorry. Your post just screamed typical windows user :<
ubuntu man! is where everybody starts these days, I've been using it intermittently along with backtrack (for business purposes...) for about 4-5 years, and its the most user friendly linux distro out there, also has a good community and a-lot of documentation.

But my heart lays on the soft glassy arms of windows 7 Tongue

ps: trovanon's second statement is SO true...
Sorry for the sheer amount of Windows n00bism but I've never used anything else besides Windows >.< That's why I want more experience with Linux. I think I should start out practicing and toying around with Ubuntu until I get used to how things work in the Linux world. Right? Also in multiple spots I've read that some distributions of Linux were so stable that they have been running for over a year as a server. Sounds exaggerated but plausible.
Uptime? The irc server im on has a 1 year, 2 month uptime to date Big Grin

Also, ubuntu is starter linux because it simply gives you the most dumbed down gui you can get. If you REALLY are intent on learning GNU/Linux or Unix, start on a crappy machine that you do not care about, install a basic distro and go from there. Learn by trial and error. In the end, who cares its a crappy alternate box. If you dont have an old desktop/laptop lying around collecting dust, there are always virtual machines!
I have VMware but and installing it right now Big Grin I've used it once before when it was 7 point something and I remember it was too hard to install graphics drivers. lol. I'll be back tomorrow, it's 1AM here and I have to wake up in 4 hours. I may has some questions Rolleyes
Feel free to pm/email me if you get stuck on anything. I'll be glad to help
I tried linux (Ubuntu), but my GPU Ati Radeon HD3870X2 doesn't have proper drivers for linux!
So i just went back to windows, there is no point staying to linux if I don't have proper 3D and HD video support.
(01-08-2010, 08:24 PM)InStars Wrote: [ -> ]I tried linux (Ubuntu), but my GPU Ati Radeon HD3870X2 doesn't have proper drivers for linux!
So i just went back to windows, there is no point staying to linux if I don't have proper 3D and HD video support.
Only until recently has ATI allowed for open source drivers to be implimented in GNU/Linux (ie: no source code)...
[Image: rms-sign.jpg]
Richard Stallman (creator of GNU and the GPL)
http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/rms-ati-protest.html

UNazo

Linux - Servers.
Windows - EVERYTHING!!!!
windows wins XDDD
Pages: 1 2 3