Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Slowdowns in Super Mario Sunshine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

FerchogtX

Hi there guys!

I hope you can help me, I'm relatively new in GC emulation... I saw the system specs that Dolphin needs to run, I think that what I get is enough to run this emu... unfortunately I got some issues.

Basically, I'm unable to use OpenGL pluging, it does some weird "pauses" and doesn't run fluidly... I've tried many settings on it with no results.
I switched to DX9 pluging (which now works properly...) but I cannot get the supposed 30 fps that Super Mario Sunshine (The only game I want to run by now) is supposed to get... I´ve tried to switch EFB to texture, but some weird bugs ocurr on this game if that setting is on, so I have to leave it on RAM... I've tried many configs on the DSP also and the game properties, but no result.

What I get on Super Mario Sunshine is:
- 11 - 19 fps on stages that get many elements on them (like Delfino Plaza)
- 20 - 23 on places that are a bit lonely
- 30 on the mini games (like in the secret of the cavern episode)

My system Specs are on my sig, but anyway...

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3 Ghz
RAM: 4 GB DDR2 Dual Channel PC-5300 (667 Mhz)
GPU: nVidia Geforce 6100 nForce 405 (256 MB + 256 MB TurboCache 450 Mhz)
HD: Maxtor Diamond Pro 10 SATA II 7200 RPM 160 GB

I'm using Windows XP Service Pack 3 32 bit (x86), everithing in startup desabled (except ctfmon and nod32) and many useless services disabled... I defragment my DD every 2 weeks more or less with O&O Defrag 11, Video drivers fully up-to-date. My GPU is onboard (Dreamcast games go perfectly) and my MoBo is a PCChips A13G+, I'm even using a chipset cooler to keep temps low, so the GPU doesn't mess up... even if this has not to much to do on this... XD, I'm also using official (?) r4771 build downloaded from http://www.dolphin-emu.com/

Am I doing something wrong? Or I need a PC with more power than this one (which I think is a bit exagerated taking in mind that I overpass the sys specs).

Thanks in advance guys Big Grin
Well, EFB Copy to RAM slows down gaming experience, so there's nothing you can do about it

FerchogtX

... Sad that's sad... anyone that uses this processor has the same issues as me?... will a 64 bit OS will make any difference? I guess that I need to wait until this things are solved on future releases... at least this one goes faster than older revs (like 4652, that gave me 5 - 6~ fps less than 4771)

Congrats to dolphin team Big Grin

See ya!!! Big Grin
Well I have a processor slower than yours, and I was able to play SMS from beggining to the very end, only getting slow down on Delfino Plaza and in a couple of stages, like the Carnival, in that stage that you reach using a cannon... I'm glad to find someone that keeps an eye on the hidden processes of the windows, keeping the OS clean really makes it faster, but if you want my opinion, to get more fps here you need a Graphics Card Upgrade, unless you are using a notebook, then there is nothing to do... try Game Booster from IOBit too, it is a program that disable some unecessarie windows processes while in Game Mode, so it become faster. http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html
Really helps..

FerchogtX

(01-12-2010, 05:03 AM)Runo Wrote: [ -> ]Well I have a processor slower than yours, and I was able to play SMS from beggining to the very end, only getting slow down on Delfino Plaza and in a couple of stages, like the Carnival, in that stage that you reach using a cannon... I'm glad to find someone that keeps an eye on the hidden processes of the windows, keeping the OS clean really makes it faster, but if you want my opinion, to get more fps here you need a Graphics Card Upgrade, unless you are using a notebook, then there is nothing to do... try Game Booster from IOBit too, it is a program that disable some unecessarie windows processes while in Game Mode, so it become faster. http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html
Really helps..
Thanks for your answer...

About keeping Windows clean, I always used to do that, even with my system specs, I hate that you get processes that you never use and only takes usable memory, even in clean installs that are not mine I always do that, and system performance increases greatly. You know, you are not alone XD
I'll try that game booster, I hope I can get more FPS... until I can upgrade my VGA.

Which VGA you think will be enough for this? as stated before, I got a PcChips a13g+ MoBo
EDIT... Here a list of what I can suport on this MoBo, which one should be the best for this?
http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWebSite/Sup...72&LanID=0

Thanks a lot man Big Grin

See ya!!!! Big Grin