Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dumping with LibreDrive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently stumbled upon LibreDrive, it is a tool inside of MakeMKV that allows fast direct disc access and it supports quite a few modern drives. So it seems to me it could be used to make raw dumps of Wii discs.
That would solve the problems that Friidump and Rawdump have which is slow dump speed and being only compatible with very old drives.
MakeMKV doesn't descramble ofcourse but Friidump can be used for that.

Sadly I don't have a LibreDrive compatible drive to test this out. I was wondering if anybody else has tested this or knows if this can/can't work.
I do have a LibreDrive-enabled Blu-ray writer, but I'm not sure if it can be used for dumping GC/Wii discs.

AFAICT LibreDrive can be used to make the disc drive ignore any firmware check that could block a disc read (e.g. DRM protections and read speed limits on Blu-ray discs -- the main use case for MakeMKV), and I also recall seeing an experiment to make the drive read past the end of the disc's TOC (e.g. for Dreamcast dumping), but in all cases it seemed to require the actual data on the disc to be present as defined by the CD/DVD/BD-ROM spec.

Nintendo Optical Discs clearly deviates from the standard and I'm unsure if LibreDrive can provide access to the drive's cache data, which is essentially how RawDump/FriiDump works (issue a disc read, it'll error out, get the content from the drive's cache with vendor-specific requests and decode it, rinse and repeat until entire disc was read)...
That makes sense, did you try to see how MakeMKV handles/reports Wii discs?
(01-19-2023, 01:47 PM)mbc07 Wrote: [ -> ]Nintendo Optical Discs clearly deviates from the standard and I'm unsure if LibreDrive can provide access to the drive's cache data, which is essentially how RawDump/FriiDump works (issue a disc read, it'll error out, get the content from the drive's cache with vendor-specific requests and decode it, rinse and repeat until entire disc was read)...

no wonder it's so slow
(01-19-2023, 06:34 PM)Miksel12 Wrote: [ -> ]That makes sense, did you try to see how MakeMKV handles/reports Wii discs?

Haven't tried other OSes, but upon inserting a GC/Wii disc to the drive (never had access to a Wii U disc to see what happens -- it's reportedly derived from Blu-ray) Windows will complain that no disc is inserted, so MakeMKV reports... nothing
That's a shame, really shows how low level Frii and RawDump have to go.