Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is there any way to run a multi disc game directly from a desktop shortcut?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I admit i have abit of OCD and so i much prefer having all my Wii/GC games as actual icons on my desktop instead of opening Dolphin and selecting a game to play (it's just cooler if they actually look like PC games with custom icons i put on them... yes i know i'm a nutcase lol)

Anyway for years now i easily had been able to accomplish this by simply creating a shortcut on the desktop with the address to where my dolphin .exe is, then a space, and then then address to the game iso... easy peasy. Now however i want to play a multi disc game the same way but not quite sure how to do it. I use .m3u files for my multi disc PS1 games i play with an emulator and that works perfect... but it didn't here (i tried doing the exact same but just with the address to the .m3u file in the shortcut)

I have automatically swap discs ticked in Dolphin settings, but i don't want to play all the way to the swap point only to find out my other theory (which is simply to have the disc 2 iso in the same folder as the disc 1 iso) won't work either... which is why i'm asking now - does anyone know what to do?
If you have relative paths inside the m3u file, and the path to the m3u file contains backslashes, the latest beta version of Dolphin has a bug where the games won't be found. This has been fixed in the development versions.

Putting the disc 2 ISO in the same folder won't make automatic disc swapping work unless you're launching the game from Dolphin's game list.
(01-06-2023, 06:07 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]If you have relative paths inside the m3u file, and the path to the m3u file contains backslashes, the latest beta version of Dolphin has a bug where the games won't be found. This has been fixed in the development versions.

Putting the disc 2 ISO in the same folder won't make automatic disc swapping work unless you're launching the game from Dolphin's game list.
What exactly do you mean by "relative paths inside the m3u file"? I don't know what that means... all the m3u files i have for my multi disc PS1 games just have the disc 1 exactly as it's written on the actual cue file and then the same for disc 2 below it, ie. like this...

Fear Effect 2 - Retro Helix (USA) (Disc 1) (v1.1).cue

Fear Effect 2 - Retro Helix (USA) (Disc 2) (v1.1).cue
Fear Effect 2 - Retro Helix (USA) (Disc 3) (v1.1).cue
Fear Effect 2 - Retro Helix (USA) (Disc 4) (v1.1).cue

So i just tried doing the same with the game i'm currently trying to get working, ie. like this...

Resident Evil - Code - Veronica X (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It) (Disc 1).iso
Resident Evil - Code - Veronica X (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It) (Disc 2).iso

Any chance you could give me a link to a developmental version you know will work? Thanks
(01-06-2023, 07:53 AM)ChronicMasturbator Wrote: [ -> ]What exactly do you mean by "relative paths inside the m3u file"? I don't know what that means... all the m3u files i have for my multi disc PS1 games just have the disc 1 exactly as it's written on the actual cue file and then the same for disc 2 below it, ie. like this...

Fear Effect 2 - Retro Helix (USA) (Disc 1) (v1.1).cue

Fear Effect 2 - Retro Helix (USA) (Disc 2) (v1.1).cue
Fear Effect 2 - Retro Helix (USA) (Disc 3) (v1.1).cue
Fear Effect 2 - Retro Helix (USA) (Disc 4) (v1.1).cue

So i just tried doing the same with the game i'm currently trying to get working, ie. like this...

Resident Evil - Code - Veronica X (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It) (Disc 1).iso
Resident Evil - Code - Veronica X (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It) (Disc 2).iso

The short answer is: Those are relative paths, meaning you're affected by the bug.

(01-06-2023, 07:53 AM)ChronicMasturbator Wrote: [ -> ]Any chance you could give me a link to a developmental version you know will work? Thanks

5.0-18128 or later. I'd suggest just downloading the latest one.
(01-06-2023, 08:18 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]The short answer is: Those are relative paths, meaning you're affected by the bug.

5.0-18128 or later. I'd suggest just downloading the latest one.

Thanks, working now Smile