Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Will this mid-range build run dolphin 4K?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I’ve recently became interested in building my own pc , and would also like to play more demanding games than wii. So I decided to look at some parts and eventually ended up with an Asus Strix Rtx 3060, and an i5 12400. As well as possibly running trident z5 ddr5 ram. Does anyone know if this would be good for 4K Wii games, maybe even with some fan made 4K texture packs? I’m also hoping to run Windows 11, if this changes things.
Here’s the links to the products:
https://rog.asus.com/graphics-cards/grap...ing-model/
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/...0-ghz.html
https://www.newegg.com/amp/g-skill-32gb-...6820374351
And possibly some form of Asus z690 motherboard.
That should be more than enough for 4K. Compared to most PC games, running Dolphin in 4K is less GPU intensive, from what I understand. What's mid-range for PC gaming today is often overkill for Dolphin. I remember seeing stuff about a GTX 1050 Ti being a good target for 4K years ago. The GTX 1050 Ti is significantly slower/weaker than the RTX 3060, so you shouldn't have any trouble rendering games in 4K.

I don't know much about running custom textures though, but I can't imagine you'd run into any issues at 4K, as people have been doing that with weaker hardware than the RTX 3060 for years.
(11-12-2022, 03:09 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]That should be more than enough for 4K. Compared to most PC games, running Dolphin in 4K is less GPU intensive, from what I understand. What's mid-range for PC gaming today is often overkill for Dolphin. I remember seeing stuff about a GTX 1050 Ti being a good target for 4K years ago. The GTX 1050 Ti is significantly slower/weaker than the RTX 3060, so you shouldn't have any trouble rendering games in 4K.

I don't know much about running custom textures though, but I can't imagine you'd run into any issues at 4K, as people have been doing that with weaker hardware than the RTX 3060 for years.

Thanks for this, it’s nice to know that this setup is good for what I need and I won’t have to save longer to get a higher end card. Maybe I’ll even try ray tracing Mario Galaxy
Ray tracing has to be supported by the application itself. Dolphin currently has no support for ray tracing, and as far as I know, there are no plans to do so. It's an inherently complex task, especially for an emulator.

At any rate, Mario Galaxy at 4K and 60FPS is already an amazing experience. You won't be disappointed with that Smile
As mentioned, if anything, that PC is insanely overkill for Wii stuff.

But if you're wanting to try running more intensive emulators like RPCS3 or Xenia then that can be a decent fit. I say "decent" because those emulators start running into the more modern console design choice of having lots of slower cores while the CPU you chose is more of the opposite - a few really fast cores.

Also, I'll be honest, spending money on DDR5 RAM but "only" going with an i5-12400 is an odd pairing - you'll get much more benefit going with cheaper DDR4 but with a higher-end CPU (or, for native PC games, a higher-end GPU) and it only starts making more sense with the even higher-end CPUs at this time unless you're willing to sacrifice RAM capacity (or you have a Microcenter nearby and can get their crazy "get 2x16GB DDR5 free when buying any Ryzen 7/9 7000-series CPU")

Lastly, Ryzen 7000 and Intel's 13th gen just launched - maybe consider giving them a look? There's also the crazy discounts on the Ryzen 5000 series going on currently but its emulation performance is more comparable with Intel 11th gen or so (not that such a thing wouldn't be plenty, and the 5800X3D's huge L3 cache can help in some various random use-cases)