Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Good middle ground build to use for laptops?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I learned recently that newer builds of dolphin means more accuracy, and thus harder to run games on lower end hardware. I wonder if there's a range of good middle ground builds to use that the community has figured out for laptop users that they can stick to for the long term. I always liked updating to the latest dev build, but now I don't think that's the best way to go. Is it suggested to stay back or keep up with the latest builds?
Quote:I learned recently that newer builds of dolphin means more accuracy, and thus harder to run games on lower end hardware.

Not true. With newer hardware and software features comes new ways to optimize, and you'll only get those in newer builds. And that's where we get our accuracy and speed improvements, so usually we increase accuracy and speed at the same time.

We are very careful to not sacrifice speed for accuracy, unless it is extremely necessary.
(09-29-2022, 11:00 AM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]Not true. With newer hardware and software features comes new ways to optimize, and you'll only get those in newer builds. And that's where we get our accuracy and speed improvements, so usually we increase accuracy and speed at the same time.

We are very careful to not sacrifice speed for accuracy, unless it is extremely necessary.

Thank you for the info, it's good to know that I don't need to stick to older builds. Most of my games work, just some games have trouble running such as Star Fox Adventures, F-Zero GX, Prince of Persia, Metroid Prime (This game in particular has a lot of stutters due to shader compilation no matter what shader setting used). I'm just going to assume that the performance on those games aren't due to what dolphin build I use but rather my lack of a dedicated GPU. Wii games seem to run flawless compared to Gamecube for some reason.

I went based on info that someone on reddit suggested, saying that it's common sense that as development of emulators go on, accuracy is higher. But this was related to pcsx2, I'm not sure of the validity of that user's comment. So I assumed Dolphin would share the same fate with accuracy. So thanks for clearing this misconception for me! I believed what the user said because MAME is the same way with its development, how accuracy increases going forward. I guess it differs emulator to emulator. I'm glad that Dolphin cares about speed AND accuracy as you mentioned.