Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin crashes on Wii Game startup and crashes every launch after
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
On the 5.0-17269 beta, I did a clean install of everything because I hadn't used Dolphin since updating my computer a year or so ago. Upon launching the emulator for the first time everything seemed fine until I tried to launch Mario Kart Wii where the emulator would freeze after a second and crash. Upon trying to reopen Dolphin after this, Dolphin also immediately crashes and wont let me do anything until I completely delete all files located in the Dolphin Emulator folder in Documents. After deleting all these files I would be able to properly launch Dolphin but was still unable to launch MKWii or any other Wii games.

As a last resort I tried redownloading and installing the "64-bit Visual C++ redistributable for Visual Studio 2022" which let me get a lot further and actually let me launch the game but after downloading a friends controller binds for Xbox and trying to put them in the right folder for Dolphin to read and restarting the emulator it immediately started acting up again and crashing.

At this point I'm at a complete loss as to what is wrong and would appreciate any help.
After I've done some more testing this morning I've figured out that :

I can relaunch Dolphin without crashing if I delete the Qt and Qt.ini.lock files from the "..\Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Config" folder. The Qt file is recreated at launch so upon next launch the emulator will crash on startup like usual. (Obviously this isnt ideal to delete random files I have no idea what they do but for testing sake I'm just trying to figure out what's wrong)

If I restart my computer after deleting the Dolphin Emulator folder from Documents I can successfully relaunch Dolphin and play a Wii game without crashes as many times as I want as long as I do not close Dolphin. If I close Dolphin a single time it will immediately stop working after until I delete the folder again and restart.
Are you running this with the Steam overlay? Try updating to https://dolphin-emu.org/download/dev/710...be9d371e1/
(09-26-2022, 01:26 AM)AdmiralCurtiss Wrote: [ -> ]Are you running this with the Steam overlay? Try updating to https://dolphin-emu.org/download/dev/710...be9d371e1/

My most recent experimenting is on the latest 5.0-17439 development build (my comment on this should be posted right above this comment once approved). I also thought Steam might be causing issues so I've just been exiting steam entirely but I haven't had any luck with this fixing or helping at all sadly.