Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What is the max sd card storage a homebrewed Wii can use?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What is the max sd card storage a homebrewed Wii can use?

I am wondering about the question above as I am considering getting a 128 Gigabyte sd card for my homebrewed Wii.
If anyone knows the answer, that would be great. If not that is okay.
The Wii officially supports only SDHC cards, which maxes out at 32 GB. Anything bigger will come pre-formatted to exFAT, which the Wii doesn't support. With 3rd party tools it's possible to format disks of up to 2 TB with FAT32, so theoretically the Wii might accept a bigger card that has been formatted to FAT32, but I personally haven't tested that...
The problem is that certain games do not support SD cards greater than 2GB (non-SDHC cards, such as the card that came with the original launch 3DS) even when used with an updated console and/or when launched through a modded console.

For example, both Excite Truck and Smash Bros Brawl do not support SDHC, though I believe the latter has mods that enable SDHC support (but the former you're SOL on if you want to take full advantage of its custom per-track music feature, though it being limited to MP3 makes it annoying to create seamless-looping songs since MP3 is not a gapless format like any of the open-source alternatives e.g. vorbis, opus, flac; even aac has similar issues but to a lesser degree)
(09-13-2022, 06:51 AM)SeriousGamer42 Wrote: [ -> ]What is the max sd card storage a homebrewed Wii can use?

I am wondering about the question above as I am considering getting a 128 Gigabyte sd card for my homebrewed Wii.
If anyone knows the answer, that would be great. If not that is okay.

I have soft modded 4x different Wii's w/ the Homebrew Channel since 2021 and the largest capacity of microSD [w/ an adapter] I am using right now is 512GB which is formatted to FAT32 by way of an app called "FAT32format GUI (GUIFormat) v1.0.1.0".
(09-14-2022, 03:45 AM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote: [ -> ]The problem is that certain games do not support SD cards greater than 2GB (non-SDHC cards, such as the card that came with the original launch 3DS) even when used with an updated console and/or when launched through a modded console.

For example, both Excite Truck and Smash Bros Brawl do not support SDHC, though I believe the latter has mods that enable SDHC support (but the former you're SOL on if you want to take full advantage of its custom per-track music feature, though it being limited to MP3 makes it annoying to create seamless-looping songs since MP3 is not a gapless format like any of the open-source alternatives e.g. vorbis, opus, flac; even aac has similar issues but to a lesser degree)

Wii games titles whose ISOs exceed past 2GB (which is most, if not all of them) have to be converted to "wbfs" format and there's a tool called "Wii Backup Manager" that helps you do the conversion. This is all after you've converted the SD card to FAT32 format.
(09-04-2023, 06:32 AM)MaziRoddy999 Wrote: [ -> ]Wii games titles whose ISOs exceed past 2GB (which is most, if not all of them) have to be converted to "wbfs" format and there's a tool called "Wii Backup Manager" that helps you do the conversion. This is all after you've converted the SD card to FAT32 format.

You misunderstand what I was saying, and your statement itself isn't quite accurate either.

The file size limit for FAT32 is 4GB (technically a teeny bit below it), and it's FAT16 that is limited to 2GB files.

But what I was talking about was for games that use the SD card themselves for various in-game content, not for loading the game ISO/wbfs itself via a USB loader or the like—again, I point to Excite Truck and Smash Bros Brawl, and I recently found out that I believe Endless Ocean (the first game) also has the same limitation of being limited to 2GB SD non-HC cards for its in-game content.