Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Random fps drops to 30
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am playing Super Monkey Ball Gaiden on dolphin with windows 10, nvidia 1050 Ti gpu, and an intel i-5 cpu, more than enough to run this Gamecube game smoothly at 60 fps; However seemingly for no discernable reason, the game drops to almost exactly 30 for multiple seconds and then a few seconds later starts running at 60 again. I tried looking this problem up but only found general solutions for lag, but this problem doesn't seem to be based on my computer not being powerful enough and is too consistent for it to reasonably be incidental lag. Does anyone have any possible solutions to this problem or insight? Thanks!
Are you using vsync?
(09-11-2022, 08:27 PM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]Are you using vsync?

yes
Dolphin uses double buffer vsync. If your system cannot maintain 60fps, it will drop to 30. It doesn't matter if you could be running at 59fps, it always goes from 60fps to 30fps. That's just how double buffered vsync works. So, turn off vsync to stop this, or adjust your settings (such as lowering your internal resolution or whatever) so it is easier for your system to maintain.
(09-12-2022, 12:54 PM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin uses double buffer vsync. If your system cannot maintain 60fps, it will drop to 30. It doesn't matter if you could be running at 59fps, it always goes from 60fps to 30fps. That's just how double buffered vsync works. So, turn off vsync to stop this, or adjust your settings (such as lowering your internal resolution or whatever) so it is easier for your system to maintain.

It seems to work, thanks for the help.