Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Choppy/Slow Video - Some Slow Emulation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After many hours troubleshooting and crawling all over Google, I finally decided it's time to just ask for help on this one...  Rolleyes

I only really emulate GameCube, and Dolphin generally works great, unless the game has video playback. The video is almost always choppy, as is the emulation once you're in the game, but it only seems to happen in games with videos (like Bink).

I recorded a short video sample to make this easier: https://vimeo.com/739260702

I have activated and deactivated every setting, tried all the available back-end render options, adjusting CPU/emulation speeds, deleted the settings to restore it all to default, nothing I do seems to fix it. It's either like the video, choppy, or doesn't work at all.

So in a nutshell...

It seems to happen in all games with video playback, and nothing I do seems to correct it. Perhaps my frustration is just blinding me to the obvious...

Here is my basic hardware info:

Windows 10 Pro
Ryzen 3600X
AMD RX 580 8GB
32GB 3200 DDR4
Asus TUF Gaming Pro B450
On-board Realtek Audio (6.0.1.8666)
Dolphin Version: 5.0-16793

Any advice is greatly appreciated, and thank you!  Big Grin
Do you by any chance have texture dumping enabled in Graphics > Advanced? If so, turn it off.
(08-14-2022, 04:54 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Do you by any chance have texture dumping enabled in Graphics > Advanced? If so, turn it off.

Nope, in fact I am currently going through it all again, the only advanced option enabled at the moment is Backend Multithreading.
I was just able to get the actual game emulation to run properly, just not the video playback.

I changed the audio backend from OpenAL to Cubeb with everything else at default. If I go back to OpenAL and bump the latency up to 60, it's almost the same as using Cubeb. Emulation runs great, it's just the video... I wish I had noticed that sooner.

I also saw I had an audio chipset driver update, I did that as well, made no difference.

So, I am much better off than I was, at least I can play the games. I bumped up the resolution and filtering and tried out a quick game and it ran great.

Sample: https://vimeo.com/739275691

Now if I could only figure out the video playback. Smile
What kind of harddrive are you running this off of? Are you using network drive over wi-fi or something?
(08-14-2022, 09:02 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]What kind of harddrive are you running this off of? Are you using network drive over wi-fi or something?

It was initially running on a Seagate 2TB Firecuda SSHD, during my troubleshooting I tried it on my 1TB Team T-Force Vulcan Gaming SSD, and then finally tried it my Crucial P5 1TB NVMe. Nothing changed. So I moved it back to the 2TB SSHD.

However, now that's I've been messing with it almost all day, running default config, boosting the resolution to 1080P, and most importantly using Cubeb for audio, the only games giving me video playback issues are ones with Bink Video, but once you're in game, it's fine. So far anyway.