Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Pointer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Its been a few years since I played with Dolphin and the Wii Mote. It the past I had no issues with the Mayflash Dolphin Sensor Bar and Wiimote. Now when I try, the Wiimote works but I do not see the pointer on the screen. Does anyone have any ideas? I am using version 5.0-16793. Tried it with Bluetooth and still nothing.
Three quick sanity checks:

#1 check with a camera that records video if the IR LEDs on the Dolphin bar are actually active. If not, there's your problem right there. If they are active, then...

#2 use the latest Dolphin beta but with fresh default settings; the easiest way to do this may be to just create a blank text file named "portable.txt" located in the same folder as Dolphin's EXE (noting that you'll want to make sure that the Dolphin program folder is located somewhere like "Downloads" or your desktop.

You may also want to quickly try it with the second-to-latest most recent beta version as well, that being "5.0-16380" at this time (which is also the final beta to properly support Windows 7 if that makes a difference for your setup).

If that still doesn't work, then...

#3 is to try the old, usually not recommended stable versions, starting with 5.0, then Dolphin 4.0.2, then 3.5, etc. until the pointer works as expected (you may or may not want to do the same "portable.txt" thing mentioned above)

The idea here is that, if it doesn't even work in an old version of Dolphin which you likely had used in the past where things previously worked, then it sounds to me like Dolphin's not at fault and the issue is somewhere else along the chain. If it does work with one of the old versions, then... well, that then becomes more of a software-dev thing (bug/regression?) and is outside of my area of expertise.
I just checked with my front facing camera because it doesn't filter out IR signals and I can see its only working on one side.  I guess my bar has gone bad.  I'll try a new one and see if that works.
Yep, your bar seems to have gone bad. This is a known problem with the Mayflash DolphinBar. Unless you have a spare sensor bar somewhere, I would recommend buying a normal sensor bar that isn't by Mayflash. (You can still use the DolphinBar for connecting Wii Remotes if that's something you want to do.)