Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: emulator crashes on ryzen apu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
my mother has an asus pn51 pc with a ryzen 5300u 16gb of kingston furry ram at 2933mhz with Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 that supports bluetooth 5.2

oddly i can not get vulcan to show up
i tried in the beginning dx12 and it was crashing on random mini games on wii sports resort
then i tried dx11. it seemed to pull through and work
then went back to dx12 and now it working too
the reason i am so hung up on using dx12 is i can mostly stay around 89% igpu usage. no sure if it running full clock speed, but dx11 hovers more around 100% usage
since it a mini form pc i got to watch temps. then again it hardly uses any cpu as the ryzen 5300u has almost the same single core performance as my i5 10400f
the igpu produces little to no heat and the whole package hovers around 165f
my only grips is the igpu usage when running 1080p and debating if it will crash on a ryzen 5300u using dx12
i know it may need to compile shaders, but is that not more an nvidia thing. is amd good at that?
what else could it be

any thoughts
who else is using this apu
Since nobody else is responding, I'll take a shot in the dark - I'm wondering if maybe it's a drivers thing, e.g. you're using the Windows Update-supplied driver rather than the driver supplied directly from amd.com?

One thing I know is that modern versions of Windows can at times overwrite the existing driver you had installed when it updates Windows, and this can sometimes cause issues.

If you do want to try re-installing drivers, then usually the recommendation is to run DDU in safemode first and then install latest GPU drivers:
(06-29-2022, 06:49 AM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote: [ -> ]Since nobody else is responding, I'll take a shot in the dark - I'm wondering if maybe it's a drivers thing, e.g. you're using the Windows Update-supplied driver rather than the driver supplied directly from amd.com?

One thing I know is that modern versions of Windows can at times overwrite the existing driver you had installed when it updates Windows, and this can sometimes cause issues.

If you do want to try re-installing drivers, then usually the recommendation is to run DDU in safemode first and then install latest GPU drivers:

windows has been debloated and does not install anything... also microsoft store has been disabled. i have an nvidia intel system i used the same installation just cloned it to mine. also in return DDU seems to not work for me when i try to use it maybe i am doing something wrong. but in my 20 years on a pc repairing software i am not seeing why it fails for me.
well it seems to be working now might have just been a driver issue with dolphin when they ran into each other.
so should i see vulkan on the ryzen apu
You could try a clean windows installation, maybe there a driver\setting from the old installation cause problems. You could use a different drive\partition to setup a dual boot and delete that and the disable the menu or use a program like easybcd to edit out the second boot menu.
Shoot, if one went the dual-boot route you could just straight-up use a Linux distro then which will generally "just work" out-of-the-box (I say generally because the Ryzen 5300u being newer-ish means that specifically Linux Mint would require the use of it's "Edge" version until 21.0 releases later this summer; all other Linux distros should "just work" without issue). That being said, since Dolphin is distributed as a Flatpak, I'd be highly recommended to use a distro that enables Flatpak by default e.g. (listed in alphabetical order) elementary OS, Fedora, Manjaro, Mint, etc... or heck even SteamOS 3.0 if/when the generic version gets released.

Furthermore, unlike Windows, Linux can be installed proper to an actual USB storage device (I mean the actual installed OS, not just the source ISO for running the installer), meaning you wouldn't even need to install the OS to the computer's internal storage - you can just boot from the USB device.

As a side benefit, getting the official 1st party GameCube USB adapter working on Linux is way easier than it is on Windows.
Since not every one like using linux. It can be involved for to do certain task. It also possible that a device like a wireless card won't have a driver in the linus detro he choose to use. I had this problem with my desktop netgear wireless card I had for example. I also point out that it is possible to have windows installation on usb drive if you use something like rufus. You can create a windows to go on a usb drive and boot from that. It under image option and the option is call windows to go.
Protop: Ventoy is your friend when it comes to booting ISOs:
Speaking of which, one can very easily determine if your network card is working in Linux via a live ISO session - if it works there, then you're good to go. OP did not mention if they were using wifi or wired though - wired has a much better chance of "just working" on Linux than wifi, though even wifi commonly works nowadays.

As for Linux being involved for certain tasks, was the goal not specifically Dolphin? At least in a "baby's first Linux" like Linux Mint and, assuming that the network card is supported, the only thing needed is to search for and install Dolphin via the "Software Manager" GUI program that comes with Mint, click the "launch" button once finished installing (or access Dolphin from "Games" in Mint's equivalent of the Windows start menu), and that's it - from there Dolphin's UI on Linux is identical to its UI on Windows, and Mint's own OS UI is more similar to something like Windows 7 than even Windows 11 is to Windows 7.

(heck, the process is simple enough that one can technically install and run Dolphin in a live Linux Min environment, but obviously you'd then have to install Dolphin every single time you boot, and your game save data would be lost whenever you shut down)

I mean, OP said that they should be pretty tech-savvy so I'm going to go out on a limb that Linux vs Windows is not a concern and, at that point, it would all come down to what solution is the easiest for their situations - heck for all we know, dual-booting may be a complete non-starter in their eyes!
I use ventoy before for this purpose, I even use ventoy to boot vhd for multiple windows images but rufus is easier to setup if all you want to do is setup a single windows installation on a usb drive. I even got past that wireless issue by using the xbox wireless controller adapter for xbox one as in linus it act like a wireless card. The wireless card was also an example of device support not been as good as windows. It much better then it was 10-15 years ago but it no where as good as windows.
However building dolphin in linus(need if you want to go past 5.0 stable) is an ordeal that require like 3-6 page to show how to do it on the guide in dophin page. In Windows it is as simple extracting the file and running it. This is an example of what I meant about been involved to use for someone that not use to linus in general. It also the reason why I didn't mention linus in my previous post.
(psst, you seem to typo "linux" as "linus" frequently)

(06-30-2022, 10:37 AM)themaster123 Wrote: [ -> ]However building dolphin in linux(need if you want to go past 5.0 stable)

This is not true - the flatpak for Dolphin is the latest beta:
This is the reason I stated that you'd ideally want to use a distro that has flatpak enabled by default.
I think I was hitting s instead of x for some reason lol. I use to ubuntu based distro and rarely use linux in general so I wasn't aware of that. I'm aware that linux has improved but for a person not used to it still can be confusing compare to using windows.
Pages: 1 2