Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Screen tearing even though VSync is on
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been trying to play Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door on my TV. It works fine on my laptop's screen, but whenever I try to use the TV I get really bad screen tearing. I have VSync enabled in both Dolphin and my graphics card. I can get the tearing to stop if I use the Direct3D 12 backend. The only problem with that is the game is prone to crashing when using it. Can anyone help with either getting the screen tearing to stop or getting the crashing to stop?

The laptop has an i7 11800h 2.3GHz processor and an RTX 3050 graphics card. I can provide more details if needed.
I've seen something like this happen when the Display's Refresh Rate isn't set to 60Hz NTSC in Windows Display Settings
(06-21-2022, 11:37 PM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]I've seen something like this happen when the Display's Refresh Rate isn't set to 60Hz NTSC in Windows Display Settings

While I appreciate the help, this was one of the first things I tried. The display actually defaulted to 60Hz. I actually tried changing it to other settings and nothing changed. I tinkered with so many different setting in Dolphin, my graphics card, and Windows itself; nothing fixed anything. I finally just gave up trying to play it. Again thanks for trying to help though.
If anyone else reads this, I've noticed two things. The screen tearing is present on the laptop's screen as well it was just harder to notice there. The stranger thing is in a fresh copy of Dolphin with none of the settings changed the tearing isn't present. However when I change the backend to anything else the tearing starts. It persists even if I change the backend back to OpenGL.