Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin on Mac OS issues with Shaders (Workaround)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm currently running Dolphin 5.0-16380 on a MacBook Pro Late 2013, 15-inch, Retina, 16GB, Core i7, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M, Macos 11.6.6 Big Sur.

With that out of the way, I've run into issues running Dolphin in either Vulkan or OpenGL. When attempting to start in OpenGL, the application just crashes with no error. I'm chalking that up to Apple's deprecation of OpenGL in their OS. When attempting to launch a game in Vulkan, I would receive the following errors (in this order) 'Failed to compile EFB readback pipelines', 'Failed to initialize renderer classes', 'FIFO shutting down while active', 'Failed to initialize video backend!'.  However, I have discovered a workaround to successfully launch a game and avoid these errors.

1. Open Dolphin and open the Graphics options.
 2. General tab --> Set Backend to Vulkan.
 3. Enhancements tab
         --> Internal Resolution = Native (640 x 528)
         --> Anti-Aliasing = None
         --> Anisotropic Filtering = 1x
         --> Post-Processing  Effect =  (off)
 4. Launch game
 5. Once the game launches and starts successfully, you can then change the graphics settings to the desired configuration.

Unfortunately, this appears to have to be performed anytime a game is launched, whether it is the first or the fifth time launching.

Hope this helps at least the one other person out these attempting to use the MacBook Pro to run Dolphin! Smile

**UPDATE**
If you keep Anti-Aliasing set to 'None', you will not experience these errors.