Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Would this build run every GC game flawlessly with ubershaders?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can I finally play every GC game (perhaps except Rogue Squadron) with ubershaders enabled, butter-smooth with the following build?

Intel Core i3 12100F 4 Core LGA 1700 3.3GHz CPU Processor
ASUS Radeon RX 6600 Dual 8GB Video Card
ASUS ROG STRIX B660-I GAMING WIFI DDR5 LGA 1700 Mini-ITX Motherboard
ADATA 16GB (1x 16GB) DDR5 4800MHz UDIMM Memory
Let me put it this way; the integrated GPU on my Ryzen 4800U (intentionally not listed in my signature due to reasons) can run with exclusive ubershaders in F-Zero GX and, at least when I'm not bottlenecked by memory bandwidth (because integrated graphics), I can run it at even 3x IR (or 5x IR with hybrid ubershaders).

So you'll be more than fine. The single stick of RAM is a bit of an interesting choice but really shouldn't make a difference since the CPU should be way plenty fast and you wouldn't even have an iGPU, not to mention DDR5 has faster bandwidth anyway (should in theory be comparable to 2x DDR4-2400 not accounting for latency, but 2x DDR5-4800 wouldn't improve latency anyway; there's even the part where DDR5 is technically 2x32bit channel vs 1x64bit channel which can help concurrent requests, so a single stick of DDR5 shouldn't even hamper that in the way that a single stick of DDR4 in theory could).

The only thing is that you didn't mention the OS - if you're using Windows, then you'll definitely want to make sure you're using Vulkan as otherwise you'll be leaving performance on the table. If you're using Linux, then even OpenGL should be generally fine but it'd still be a bit silly to not use Vulkan since it's available anyway.

An alternative way to explain it is that you'd probably be fine running Xenia or RPCS3, let alone Dolphin (though Xenia and RPCS3 could possibly have substantial gains from having 6 cores... maybe. Intel 12th gen's single-threaded is fast enough that even the hyperthreading on a 4core may be plenty to handle those emulator's multi-threaded-ness).
It looks like you're trying to build a "budget" 12th gen system. If you can swing it, definitely get another stick of DDR5 RAM down the road if cost is an issue.

A single stick of DDR5 running 2x32 bit channels (64 bits total over 2 channels) is still less than DDR4 dual channel 2x64 bit channels (128 bits total over 2 channels), so it's "worse" than DDR4 dual channel in total capacity (which may not matter since it's faster and longer bit handling, go read up on it if you're curious, its interesting). With 2 DDR5 modules you get 4x32 bit channels (128 bit total over 4 channels) memory, which would be the best case scenario.
(06-08-2022, 06:31 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]It looks like you're trying to build a "budget" 12th gen system. If you can swing it, definitely get another stick of DDR5 RAM down the road if cost is an issue.

If this is true, I would recommend against DDR5 in the first place.
Thanks for your replies!

Yes I did get two of these ADATA modules Smile All the dual kits were significantly more expensive so I bought 2 of the 'single' module.

I'd have loved to go with DDR4 instead and save a bit of money, but this mobo only supports DDR5... CAS latency 40 was a bit of a concern, but this guide put my mind to ease https://au.pcmag.com/components/91181/dd...newest-ram. I'll plan to overclock the memory (maybe 5 GT/s) and have a nice long run of memtest86+.