Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Can't Change Memory Card Location
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

Just downloaded Dolphin last night and I wanted to set it up so everything is stored and ran from my external drive.

I have set everything up and set directories to my external drive, including memory cards A&B.

But the emulator keeps defaulting to my C drive's Documents directory.

When I boot a game it will prompt me with a message that the directory has changed, do I want to copy the memory card files over, ignore for this run or no.

Regardless what option, if I let it copy, I still get the message when I try boot the game again and find that it is not saving my data either.

I dont want anything stored on my C drive, for some reason the C drive is very small so I just have the OS files on that drive, it does have a 1TB internal SD storage but this is set for PC games, emulators and games I have installed to my external drive.

Is there a way to stop Dolphin having to automatically create and set up directories in your C drive Documents folder and force it to run everything from its primary install location, the external drive.

As I keep having to start games over and over because it is not saving to my external, if I let it copy over or ignore it says there is no save data, if i load a save state and try save game it says it was started with a different memory card and won't save.
Take a look here https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/guides/cont...directory/ for controlling where Dolphin puts the Global User Directory. You can make a portable.txt file if you want each Dolphinx64 folder to be fully self contained, or you can move the location of the Global User Directory location to your other drive, so no matter where you launch Dolphin from it'll point to the external drive.
(05-28-2022, 01:39 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Take a look here https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/guides/cont...directory/ for controlling where Dolphin puts the Global User Directory. You can make a portable.txt file if you want each Dolphinx64 folder to be fully self contained, or you can move the location of the Global User Directory location to your other drive, so no matter where you launch Dolphin from it'll point to the external drive.

excellent, i think thats fixed it, i see its created all the directories in my external folder.

wonder if this can be added as an auto feature, if you set directories other than your C drive that Dolphin automatically uses it rather than force C drives Doccuments folder.