Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How to identify older 'beta versions' to download?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
TL-DR - Just the topic name!

Explained:
At Downloads Page, there are both Beta than Dev versions to download, but Beta versions are restricted to the 5 last releases, with no "extend choice" page available. At Dev downloads you are directed to a buildbot page containing every whole releases, but there's no identifying about what of those are Beta versions.

Plus, over the Beta section is described "Beta versions are released every month, usually accompanied by a Progress Report article." but even at the Progress reports (at the blog) is quite unsure what are the proper versions (by date) since the information about Notable Changes are quite shuffled over that posts.

"Why an old Beta version?"
As you can see on my profile, I have a very outdated laptop - wich is 'officially unsupported' right now by Dolphin. So, i'm searching for the most recent Beta (a.k.a. 'stable') version that can run over my specs w/o the need on upgrading my hardware (those things actually become A LOT expensive at Brazil)!
The latest "beta" build (5.0-16380) will work on Windows 7, 8, and 8.1. So technically any Beta build will work for you, for now. This was intentional, as we haven't officially announced it yet (I'll be doing that soon). The next beta build will not work.

As for development builds, 5.0-16393 is where support for your old OS was dropped. Anything before that should work.

Also you should try to upgrade your OS if you can. Windows 10 should not perform worse than Windows 8, and I believe Microsoft should still let you upgrade for free? Though I admittedly haven't looked into that for a looong time.
(05-19-2022, 11:33 AM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]The latest "beta" build (5.0-16380) will work on Windows 7, 8, and 8.1. So technically any Beta build will work for you, for now. This was intentional, as we haven't officially announced it yet (I'll be doing that soon). The next beta build will not work.

As for development builds, 5.0-16393 is where support for your old OS was dropped. Anything before that should work.

Also you should try to upgrade your OS if you can. Windows 10 should not perform worse than Windows 8, and I believe Microsoft should still let you upgrade for free? Though I admittedly haven't looked into that for a looong time.

I've tried it before - I admit was before some workarounds needed to proper run Dolphin with a parallel WiiMote Plus together - and didn't runs. The last/most recent version i've successfully put to load  a game was 9455 - after that none of them was able to recognize my HD 3000 Intel graphics as adapter on whatever graphical backend tried (presently, only DX11 recognizes); and even this version is presenting some bugs, or maybe is the wiimote itself with it's low batteries - man! that crap drains energy like a vampire! LOL

In the middle of above mentioned workarounds, I noticed that sometimes is needed to clean up the config files - both the ones at install directory than those at Documents directories (I'm not using the portable/standalone switch file). This was after the "founding" of 9455 ver. Just mentioning in advance to some change on my tests...

I'll try 16393 again now. Thx 4 the fast reply!
Um, 5.0-16393 will not work on your OS. That's the version where it was dropped. You want the one before that, specifically 5.0-16391.
The main issue isn't the OS, but the iGPU. You definitely won't be able to run the last beta with an Intel HD 3000, that's for sure (I mean, Dolphin will certainly open, but will either crash or render terribly broken graphics if you try to boot anything). Digging our FAQ page from the Internet Archive, the last time it mentioned the Intel HD 3000 as "compatible" was in early 2018, so try Dolphin builds released before that...

(the Mesa drivers from Linux likely provide a bit better support for that iGPU, so current Dolphin versions might still run if you switch to Linux, but even then your mileage may vary)