Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Issue compiling Dolphin on Windows 10
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

SSM24

Hello, I'm trying to get a debug build of Dolphin so I can use memory read/write breakpoints (see edit below), so I'm trying to compile it from source. I'm on Windows 10.

As per the instructions on GitHub, I installed Visual Studio 2022 with the Windows 11 SDK, cloned the repo, and pulled submodules with git. When I try to build Dolphin, though, I get the following error:

Code:
2>[...]\dolphin\Source\Core\VideoCommon\FrameDump.cpp(18,1): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'libavcodec/avcodec.h': No such file or directory
2>[...]\dolphin\Source\Core\VideoCommon\FrameDump.cpp(18,1): fatal error C1083: #include <libavcodec/avcodec.h>
2>[...]\dolphin\Source\Core\VideoCommon\FrameDump.cpp(18,1): fatal error C1083: ^

After doing a search, it seems like the files it's failing to find are related to FFmpeg. Am I supposed to install this separately somewhere? The instructions for building on GitHub don't specifically point it out, which is why I'm confused. I'm also not experienced with building C/C++ projects, so I'm really not sure what I'm doing here.

Thank you in advance for any help :D

EDIT: Actually, huh, it doesn't seem like you need to use the debug build to set memory breakpoints? Did I just find outdated info or something? Well regardless, I'd still like to know what's going on here, just for reference ^^
That looks like an error caused by not having pulled the submodules. If you have pulled the submodules, I'm not sure what's going on...

(04-26-2022, 12:16 PM)SSM24 Wrote: [ -> ]EDIT: Actually, huh, it doesn't seem like you need to use the debug build to set memory breakpoints? Did I just find outdated info or something? Well regardless, I'd still like to know what's going on here, just for reference ^^

Yes, it used to be the case some number of years ago that you needed a debug build, but it isn't the case anymore.

SSM24

(04-27-2022, 05:51 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]That looks like an error caused by not having pulled the submodules. If you have pulled the submodules, I'm not sure what's going on...

Huh, yeah, the "Externals/FFmpeg-bin" folder was just an empty folder with nothing but a .git file inside it - but that must've been enough to convince Git that it was already there, and thus it didn't do anything when I tried pulling submodules again. When I deleted that folder and tried pulling again, it seems to have worked fine this time. Must've just been a weird one-off thing, then. Thanks for the help!