Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is my PC good enough to RELAUNCH Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am using:

- Acer-Nitro N50
- Windows 10 Home
- Intel Core i5-9400F @ 2.9 GHz
- 24 GB Corsair DDR4 RAM
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650.

Dolphin will NOT relaunch for me. Works as intended upon initial install, set-up, and play, but freezes every time I close and reopen, no matter what version I use.

Posted this issue in support, still no answers (But yet as soon as someone posts about their Mario/Metroid/whatever game being slow, everyone jumps all over that...)

Any help appreciated, thank you.
Maybe some antivirus you have installed is blocking it? You could try making up an exception for it (and if you're just using Windows Defender you can put the entire folder as an exception).
(04-21-2022, 05:06 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe some antivirus you have installed is blocking it? You could try making up an exception for it (and if you're just using Windows Defender you can put the entire folder as an exception).

Thank you for your reply. 

I am using BitDefender, with Game Mode turned on.

BitDefender has never flagged any emulator for me, but I still made an exception for the whole Dolphin folder, as well as the executable file itself, and Dolphin STILL freezes upon relaunch.

Any other suggestions? Very frustrating how, on a PC that has more than capable specs, Dolphin is essentially good for a one-time use for me.
(04-21-2022, 04:05 PM)theflu88 Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for your reply. 

I am using BitDefender, with Game Mode turned on.

BitDefender has never flagged any emulator for me, but I still made an exception for the whole Dolphin folder, as well as the executable file itself, and Dolphin STILL freezes upon relaunch.

Any other suggestions? Very frustrating how, on a PC that has more than capable specs, Dolphin is essentially good for a one-time use for me.

Actually, I did forget to also put the folder that Dolphin makes in My Documents (or simply Documents) as an exception for BitDefender.

Other than that, you could try making a blank portable.txt file right where the executable is, save it and try opening Dolphin a couple of times.
(04-22-2022, 04:08 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]Actually, I did forget to also put the folder that Dolphin makes in My Documents (or simply Documents) as an exception for BitDefender.

Other than that, you could try making a blank portable.txt file right where the executable is, save it and try opening Dolphin a couple of times.

I made Dolphin portable when I installed it. The "User" folder has an exception made for it.

Still won't relaunch.

Tried Dolphin out on my laptop (Intel Core i3-1005G1@1.2 GHz/8GB DDR4 RAM/Windows 10 home/Intel UHD 920 Integrated Graphics) and it works perfectly and relaunches every time.

WTF...
Maybe it's an OS issue. Have you tried to use the DISM tool to check if your OS has any issues? (You can Google the how-to easier than I can explain it)
If worst comes to worst and you're OK with rebooting your PC but don't want to re-install your OS, there's always the unconventional option of installing a copy of Linux onto a USB drive (or a secondary hard drive or SSD) and just using the Linux version of Dolphin.

(to clarify, I don't mean a live session but rather a full-fat installation which Linux actually allows being installed onto USB drives)