Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Changed the location of my Global User Directory and now all of my data is gone
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

cmonge123

Recently, when trying to figure out how to create a path to have a games list on my home screen, I accidentally changed the location of my global user directory in my registry editor, and now all of my data seems to be wiped. Is there any way I can restore this data? I still have a Dolphin Emulator folder in my documents that has a memory card file in it, but I am unsure what to do with it.

When trying to figure out how to make the path, I had followed this tutorial: https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/guides/cont...directory/ , thinking it was referring to the same path as that in the config menu. What I did was set the global user directory location to a separate folder that I had placed my ROMs in, and when that didn’t work, I tried creating a Local User Directory, as shown in the tutorial above. At some point I had both a Global and Local User Directory in my Dolphin Emulator Key. Both directories have been deleted now, as well as the Dolphin Emulator Key itself, and I have a backup of my Dolphin Emulator folder from my documents. I am unsure what step to take now. My dolphin app is still wiped of all its data. Unsure how much of this will help, but I just wanted to provide all the information of what led me to this point. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Edit: The backup is currently just sitting on my desktop, but in my documents folder there is still a dolphin emulator folder present, so I am unsure what I am supposed to do with this backup.
Okay, so you've deleted the key you created in the registry...

Did you at any point create a portable.txt file? If so, delete that file too.

cmonge123

(04-20-2022, 06:26 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, so you've deleted the key you created in the registry...

Did you at any point create a portable.txt file? If so, delete that file too.

The farthest I went into the Local Directory part of the tutorial was when it said "Double click the "LocalUserConfig" value and an Edit String dialog appears. Under "Value Data", type the number 1."
Unless it automatically creates a portable.txt file, I did not create one.
Setting LocalUserConfig to 1 means Dolphin would use the /User/ directory in the folder of the executable, as if you had placed an portable.txt next to the .exe file (but doesn't create that file).

Dolphin shouldn't "wipe" data because you are just changing the directory Dolphin is looking in and it intentionally doesn't wipe old data (where should it look? + worrying about possible data loss) or transfer it (you may want to quickly create new empty profiles).

Just to be sure, you deleted the registry keys "UserConfigPath" and "LocalUserConfig", correct? (Deleting the "Dolphin Emulator" folder inside the registry also counts). If so, and check if you haven't made an portable.txt file by accident.
You can also check the (Gamecube) Memory files (Tools → Memory Card Manager) to see what data is on them. It should fill out Slot A with the path Dolphin currently uses, and you can load a new memory card file (and also check the subfolders for .gci files, which is just an extracted GC memory card) to see what is in your backup folder.

cmonge123

(04-20-2022, 07:27 AM)Neui Wrote: [ -> ]Setting LocalUserConfig to 1 means Dolphin would use the /User/ directory in the folder of the executable, as if you had placed an portable.txt next to the .exe file (but doesn't create that file).

Dolphin shouldn't "wipe" data because you are just changing the directory Dolphin is looking in and it intentionally doesn't wipe old data (where should it look? + worrying about possible data loss) or transfer it (you may want to quickly create new empty profiles).

Just to be sure, you deleted the registry keys "UserConfigPath" and "LocalUserConfig", correct? (Deleting the "Dolphin Emulator" folder inside the registry also counts). If so, and check if you haven't made an portable.txt file by accident.
You can also check the (Gamecube) Memory files (Tools → Memory Card Manager) to see what data is on them. It should fill out Slot A with the path Dolphin currently uses, and you can load a new memory card file (and also check the subfolders for .gci files, which is just an extracted GC memory card) to see what is in your backup folder.
1. I have deleted the entire Dolphin Emulator key within the registry editor, but where would I find a portable.txt file if I have accidentally created it? It is likely I didn't but I want to make 100% sure. Also, when loading the memory card in the memory card manager, should I be choosing the "MemoryCardA.USA.raw" file? Because it does not seem to be working when I do that. Could you elaborate on the steps I would need to take in the MemCardManager?

2. To be clear, I did not make a backup of my dolphin emulator folder until after I created/deleted these keys, are you saying that every step I have taken before this wouldn't tamper with the files in the Dolphin Emulator documents folder?

3. My "MemoryCardA.USA.raw" folder is 16MB, is this a normal size for this file with saves loaded on it, or should it be bigger? (I have only played one game so far on this system)

I apologize for not understanding some of this stuff, I'm decently new at this kind of thing. 

I've attached pictures of both my Memory Card Manager and my GC folder within my documents Dolphin folder.
[attachment=20100]
[attachment=20101]
Quote:1. I have deleted the entire Dolphin Emulator key within the registry editor, but where would I find a portable.txt file if I have accidentally created it?

portable.txt will only work if it is within the same folder as dolphin.exe. Basically just go to where your dolphin executable is, and if you see a text file named portable, delete it.

Quote:2. To be clear, I did not make a backup of my dolphin emulator folder until after I created/deleted these keys, are you saying that every step I have taken before this wouldn't tamper with the files in the Dolphin Emulator documents folder?

Dolphin will not mess with your files, either positively or negatively. That means you do not need to worry about Dolphin deleting your saves or anything of the sort, but it also means that any transferring of the files to a different location is up to you.

If you didn't delete the files in the documents folder, then they are still there safe and sound waiting to be utilized.

Quote:3. My "MemoryCardA.USA.raw" folder is 16MB, is this a normal size for this file with saves loaded on it, or should it be bigger?

The largest memory card for the GameCube was 128 megabit (2035 blocks). That is 16 megabytes!

Spoiler:

cmonge123

(04-20-2022, 06:45 PM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]portable.txt will only work if it is within the same folder as dolphin.exe. Basically just go to where your dolphin executable is, and if you see a text file named portable, delete it.

Dolphin will not mess with your files, either positively or negatively. That means you do not need to worry about Dolphin deleting your saves or anything of the sort, but it also means that any transferring of the files to a different location is up to you.

If you didn't delete the files in the documents folder, then they are still there safe and sound waiting to be utilized.

The largest memory card for the GameCube was 128 megabit (2035 blocks). That is 16 megabytes!

Spoiler:
When I try to open my MemoryCardA file in MemcardManager the field comes up completely blank save the labels for each section (i.e Banner, Title, Comment...) Does this mean that this memory card does not have my game data on it? When I changed my global user directory it was to a folder on a different drive, would this mean I am supposed to find my Memory Card file there, or would it still remain in the original documents folder? If it is supposed to move to the other drive, I cannot seem to find it anywhere.