Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin is forcing 480p on my TV. Please send help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am using CRT Emudriver, trying to play Dolphin in 480i on my SD CRT. With a freshly unzipped Dolphin, I open the executable and load a game. The game opens up in windows mode on my primary monitor. I click and drag the window to my secondary monitor, the CRT TV in 480i. After that I hold ALT + ENTER to full screen. The game goes full screen but shows a double image with distorted colors, an indication that it went into a progressive scan signal (likely 480p) that my TV does NOT like.

I am stumped as to how to fix this, as is everyone on the official Dolphin Discord channel, so I am posting here to see if I can finally learn how to fix this issue.

Windows 7 SP1 (no internet connection, it's just an emulation rig)
i5 3570
R7 360
8 GB RAM
Dolphin 5.0-16101 (latest Beta)
So Dolphin should not be changing the resolution of your output at all. Technically it can but that is no longer a feature we even show in our GUI. So let's check that first. If you place a text file named "portable" (with extension it is portable.txt) next to Dolphin's executable, and run it. You should see that everything is default, none of your games, saves, or settings are there. Now without touching anything, drag and drop one of your games into the window (or just use open or whatever) and get a game running, then drag the window onto your CRT. Is it still doing it?
If using the portable.txt file does fix the issue, you have some setting changed from the default that causes the issue. If the portable.txt file does not fix the issue, there are 2 things you could try, that might be related. 1. the graphics backend might be causing this, try the other ones (it's under graphics -> general -> basic). 2. Borderless fullscreen might help (graphics -> advanced -> misc). If borderless fullscreen does not help, remember to disable it again, as stated in the hint, it does reduce the performance.