Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: dumping from pc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

RedRanger3

So, here's my problem. My dad and I have tried to dump Puyo Puyo 7 for a while, and either the iso came out bad or it just wouldn't dump with a GDR 8082N external drive. For context, we've been using our PC's to do this, with no luck. We've tried Rawdump, Friidump, and ImgBurn, with no success. The entire point of this is to not have to buy a Wii, and I want to keep trying with the external drive that I'm using right now. Any tips?
Only RawDump and FriiDump are programmed to handle dumping for Dolphin AFAIK, so I wouldn't bother with ImgBurn at all. Anyway, the drives that were supported by these programs are somewhat notorious for their failure rate, especially given their age nowadays. Keep in mind that these things only worked in the first place because people figured out how to technically "misuse" them via firmware, if I'm remembering things correctly, so it's not exactly like these drives were originally designed to dump GC/Wii games. Unfortunately, there may be nothing you can do if your drive is one of the bad ones. Taking a gamble and buying another one is probably your only Wii-less option for dumping games.

Alternatively, most used Wii consoles are cheaper and easier to find than used GDR drives, and the process for hacking a Wii and getting the homebrew dumping software sorted is straightforward. As another alternative (one involving no buying whatsoever), I know people have used their friend's Wiis for dumping. Some friends even let their pals borrow and hack it.

RedRanger3

(04-06-2022, 03:24 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Only RawDump and FriiDump are programmed to handle dumping for Dolphin AFAIK, so I wouldn't bother with ImgBurn at all. Anyway, the drives that were supported by these programs are somewhat notorious for their failure rate, especially given their age nowadays. Keep in mind that these things only worked in the first place because people figured out how to technically "misuse" them via firmware, if I'm remembering things correctly, so it's not exactly like these drives were originally designed to dump GC/Wii games. Unfortunately, there may be nothing you can do if your drive is one of the bad ones. Taking a gamble and buying another one is probably your only Wii-less option for dumping games.

Alternatively, most used Wii consoles are cheaper and easier to find than used GDR drives, and the process for hacking a Wii and getting the homebrew dumping software sorted is straightforward. As another alternative (one involving no buying whatsoever), I know people have used their friend's Wiis for dumping. Some friends even let their pals borrow and hack it.

I was planning on asking a friend who I know has a Wii U, and I'll edit this reply when they get back to me about using their Wii/Wii U to dump this game. Actually, I've hacked my 3ds, so I have the tools for hacking a wii.