Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: wii games DRASTICALLY differing in fps???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
so idk what's happening but i've noticed that certain wii games are having severe fps drops, ever since i switched my graphics card. now i have no clue if the cause is the card or the builds, because on my ancient GT710 card, all wii games worked just fine. and it's not a matter of reducing antialiasing, or switching to native resolution, both of those options yield no results, the games still have massive fps drops. and just for the record the audio backend has remained Cubeb for the entirety of these tests, and the JIT Recompiler option is on

the strange part is that some games like NSMBW and MKW work just fine on 60fps. SMG2, Pikmin and DKC Returns are some of the biggest offenders here, having drops of half or more of their intended fps, making MKW the oddity, since it's a fully 3D game with loads of effects.

i've tried just about anything and everything, from reducing to default video settings, to switching backends, to using the different shader cache options, to messing with Nvidia's control panel options for dolphin, to updating any and all possible drivers that weren't already updated (spoiler alert, just one of them, the x64 redistributable) and nothing so far has worked. other users have similar reports and yet there seems to be no answer? it is bizzare that better PC components are not handling the games better, since as i said before, my discontinued gfx card handled them just fine. no clue what's going on here.
Couple of things to try:
- Update to the latest dev build
- Open NVIDIA Control Panel > 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings tab > find "Dolphin Emulator (dolphin.exe)" in the drop-down [or add it to the list] > Power Management Mode > set to "Prefer maximum performance"
-> Dolphin tends to do weird stuff to the GPU that a normal PC game doesn't, so your GPU may not be estimating the load properly and staying in a lower-power mode (or rapidly switching between low and high power mode)
-> Don't mess with any other settings here, Dolphin doesn't like enhancements being forced from the Driver
- Make sure you have the latest GPU driver isntalled