Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Manage to dump three Wii games I bought from the Wii U eshop channel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since Nintendo is going to ax the Wii U and Nintendo 3ds shop, I thought it would be a good time to buy a few virtual console games before it goes away for good.

Based on a previous discussion I had a few years ago. I decided to go on ahead and try my luck dumping one Wii virtual console game by converting the .nfs file into an .iso file format.

To start this process I have to install a homebrew channel on the vWii application. Then, I used the Dump Mii Nand to dump both the Nand and the Wii common key files.
Once I got the Wii common key file, I have to dump both otp and seeprom from my homebrew Wii U console (I used the Dump Nand to recover the .bin files).
After installing the DumpsterU application, I store all the Wii virtual console game on a Wii U formatted UDB drive, use both otp and seeprom to be able to see all the Wii VC games on my library. Behold!

[Image: UfSsXuD.png]

This process requires me to dump all the content from the USB drive and put it in a temporary file. Once I got all the tools I needed. All I have to do is dump.

[color=#ffffff][Image: npbe4yn.png][/color]

Ding! Goes the alarm. Now I should be able to pull the .iso file from the oven.

[color=#ffffff][Image: A9eAKBZ.png][/color]

When I try to boot the game in dolphin:

[color=#ffffff][Image: iXVek6C.png][/color]

It Works!

Well. Sort of. To see if I got a good valid dump, I notice that most of the Wii virtual console games I bought mentions that its a bad dump:

[color=#ffffff][Image: FT3Dl6D.png][/color]

Inspecting the filesystem closely, I notice one minor differed between a digital copy vs a physicals copy.

[color=#ffffff][Image: FeGCJFn.png][/color]

The minor difference here is that the Wii virtual console (Xenoblade Chronicles) lacks an update partition. While a real physical game (Super Paper Mario) contains an update Partition.
Oh, there also issues with the Data Partition. While I don't have plans to play the game using a netplay service, I doubt it won't effect my ability to play the single player mode. I think.

It would be interesting to see if I can boot a dump Wii VC game onto a real homebrew Wii. I could look into it some other time.