Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Apparently you've been able to download the Wii Menu with a button for years
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Demaenetus

Kind of a silly post, but I've used Dolphin for a long time and I thought it would be cool to have the Wii Menu in Dolphin, but I swear I read somewhere on the Dolphin wiki (or maybe it was a really outdated forum post...?) that the only way to get the Wii Menu in Dolphin was to dump it from a modded Wii console, which I don't have at the moment and would be a pain. But when I was reading the recent blog post, and one of the features they mentioned was that they added support in the Android version to download the Wii Menu as a system update, and I was like "what?? how long has that been a thing??" so I went to the wiki page for "Wii Menu" and right at the top

Quote:Dolphin does not include the Wii Menu by default, and it doesn't need it; it is able to launch games straight from the Dolphin GUI. However, the menu is fully functional; it can load channels and even discs. Starting with 5.0-4588, you can easily install the Wii Menu in Dolphin by going into Tools => "Perform Online System Update"

I checked that version, it's four and half years old...

I feel a bit dumb now, I was kinda missing out, but at least I know now! Definitely going to do that next time I use Dolphin

thepwrtank18

Same here. I used NUS Downloader so many times when I could just press a button and connect directly to Nintendo's servers.

Tip for the devs: Make the "Load System Menu" button "Download System Menu" or something like that when the System Menu isn't installed to the NAND.
(03-09-2022, 02:50 PM)Demaenetus Wrote: [ -> ]Kind of a silly post, but I've used Dolphin for a long time and I thought it would be cool to have the Wii Menu in Dolphin, but I swear I read somewhere on the Dolphin wiki (or maybe it was a really outdated forum post...?) that the only way to get the Wii Menu in Dolphin was to dump it from a modded Wii console, which I don't have at the moment and would be a pain. But when I was reading the recent blog post, and one of the features they mentioned was that they added support in the Android version to download the Wii Menu as a system update, and I was like "what?? how long has that been a thing??" so I went to the wiki page for "Wii Menu" and right at the top

I checked that version, it's four and half years old...

I feel a bit dumb now, I was kinda missing out, but at least I know now! Definitely going to do that next time I use Dolphin

Like they said, there's not really much point to actually booting into the Wii menu, same as there's not much point into booting into the Gamecube menu if you have that setup too. It's a fun feature though, glad it's possible even though it's not really necessary.