Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Stutter/slowdown causing audio issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

wumbaBumba99

A game will be fully capable of running several times 100% speed on my system, even close to 100% on 8k, but I will have consistent brief dips whenever content is loaded causing the audio to stutter slightly. This is most repeatable I have found with Mario Kart Double Dash, at the intro logo screen the "waaahooo" will be broken up as the Lakitu is loaded. Additionally if you let the start screen sit for a few seconds and go to the attract screen, it will always stutter as it loads and then when the race starts.

I have tried all the usual suggestions, ubsershaders, compiling shaders, dual cpu on/off, all of the different video and audio back ends, I tried loading the games file from an nvme SSD instead of my HDD storage, Vsync on/off, adjusted my monitors refresh rate settings in both windows and the NVIDIA control panel, I've tried everything I can find on audio stutter/frame sync/frame drop issues. I have seen the same issue in several videos on youtube, both old and new. There was only one other thread I could find on this specific Mario Kart issue, but everyone wasted their time claiming it must be video drivers or something. I have tested it and found it on multiple of my own personal systems including on linux, but obviously the issue is most outstanding on the most powerful, specs listed below.

Like I said, I see similar behavior on many games, perhaps anything using more complex 3D scenes, but Double Dash is the fastest to check because it happens within the first 5 seconds. Other games I have had issues with include Star Fox Adventure, Pikmin, and Mario Golf but I have spent the most time testing my settings on Double Dash.

This is on version 5.0-16116, I tested it and it was still present on 5.0-14790, but on Dolphin 5.0 the issue was not there.

Specs as follows:
i5 9600-K
RTX 2070 Super
16gb ram
Windows 10 pro

I assume this likely an ongoing issue with the current development version of Dolphin, but finding info about it is difficult, hoping in any case to bring the issue attention in the case it hasn't received it. I'm assuming there isn't a setting I can change to fix it, and it may well not be a priority to fix at the moment.
Post your Audio settings.

wumbaBumba99

[attachment=20029]
(03-05-2022, 11:05 PM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]Post your Audio settings.

I have tried changing all of these settings as well, audio stretching can "mitigate" the audio glitch from the frame drop to a degree, I couldn't find the right balance of delay that didn't introduce weird audio artifacts where it had otherwise been fine before.
Yeah, I was mostly hoping Audio Stretching would work. I guess post the rest of your settings so we can check those out.