Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Random freezes when playing Mario Kart Wii online
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Shadow_Walker13

Sorry if this isn't the correct place to post this.

I've been trying to play Mario Kart Wii online (using Wiimmfi), but the game will randomly freeze for up to 2 seconds during races or in the menus. It happens 1-2 times per race and usually at least once in the menus between races. However, the game runs perfectly fine when doing anything offline (although there is a small lag spike when starting the game, just after the safety screen). I usually play in windowed mode, but fullscreen didn't seem to help. The freezes seem to be happening more frequently and for longer since when I first noticed the issue. It always has a small freeze/lag spike when it's about to finish connecting to Wiimmfi from the main menu.

Here's information about my PC and dolphin:
OS - Windows 10 x64
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 6 core processor
GPU - Radeon RX 580 series
RAM - 2x 8GB (16GB total)
Dolphin - 5.0-15993

Most of my dolphin settings should be attached in images, and I'll list changes that I've tried:
-Disabling "Enable Dual Core (speedup)
-Disabling "Enable Cheats"
-Changing graphics backend to "Direct3D 11" and "Direct3D 12"
-Disabling "V-sync"
-Changing "Shader Compilation" to "Specialized (Default)" and "Hybrid Ubershaders"
-Disabling "Compile Shaders Before Starting"
-Changing the "Internal Resolution" to "Native" and "2x Native"
-Disabling "Arbitrary Mipmap Detection"
-Disabling "Backend Multithreading"
-Enabling "Borderless Fullscreen"

I haven't tested any other games as Mario Kart wii is the only one that I play so far. Any help would be appreciated
Is Windows up to date and you have the latest AMD GPU drivers?

I think you need to have a good copy of the game as well to play on Wiimmfi, but just to check if you Right-click the game > Properties > Verify tab > Verify: do you have a good dump of the game?

Shadow_Walker13

(03-06-2022, 02:33 PM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Is Windows up to date and you have the latest AMD GPU drivers?

I think you need to have a good copy of the game as well to play on Wiimmfi, but just to check if you Right-click the game > Properties > Verify tab > Verify: do you have a good dump of the game?

Sorry for the late reply. I believe I have the latest windows update + drivers.

For the verification, it concludes that it is a bad dump. The problems it finds are the following:
-The channel partition is missing. (medium severity)
-The update partition is missing. (low severity)
-The DATA partition is not correctly signed. (low severity)

I've got a friend with similar problems with the verification, but he doesn't have the lag spikes. I might redump the game from my Wii again if you think that would fix it.
The DATA partition is not correctly signed... I assume that's because you applied a Wiimmfi patch to the ISO file? If so, the reported problems are probably not the cause of your lag.

Shadow_Walker13

(03-11-2022, 07:34 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]The DATA partition is not correctly signed... I assume that's because you applied a Wiimmfi patch to the ISO file? If so, the reported problems are probably not the cause of your lag.

I did apply a wiimmfi patch to it, yes. I'm not sure what it said before I did that.
(03-11-2022, 01:07 PM)Shadow_Walker13 Wrote: [ -> ]I did apply a wiimmfi patch to it, yes. I'm not sure what it said before I did that.

Hello. I have the exact same problem and when I checked the log it states that the last thing before the lag spike occurred was that Wiimfi tried to update. I also run a patched ISO but thats not the issue because I havent modified it and I didnt have this exact issue 2 months ago, using the same iso.

I tried:
- Clean dump, patched with wiimfi
- Reset config, disabled cheats/textures
- Used different shader compilations, backends and render devices
- Deleted cache
- Checked if any save states exist (None do)
- Updated graphic cards driver
- Checked connection stability
- Checked game itself (Playing normal grand prix offline leads to no errors at all)
- Used different controllers
- Researched for the pointer address online, no results
- Reinstalled and redumped NAND
- Updated Windows
- Reinstalled Dolphin
- Searched online
- Run dolphin as administrator
- Allow dolphin through firewall
- Change DNS server

Issues found but I dont know how to address:
- Invalid MMIO Reads
- SO_CONNECT Fail
-  IPL-DEV Accessing unknown device
`
17:58:678 Core\HW\EXI\EXI_DeviceIPL.cpp:307 N[OSREPORT]: Warning: DVDOpen(): file '/Race/Common/100/ObjFlow.bin' was not found under /.

17:58:678 Core\HW\EXI\EXI_DeviceIPL.cpp:307 N[OSREPORT]: Warning: DVDOpen(): file '/Race/Common/100/GeoHitTableItem.bin' was not found under /.

17:58:678 Core\HW\EXI\EXI_DeviceIPL.cpp:307 N[OSREPORT]: Warning: DVDOpen(): file '/Race/Common/100/GeoHitTableItemObj.bin' was not found under /.

17:58:678 Core\HW\EXI\EXI_DeviceIPL.cpp:307 N[OSREPORT]: Warning: DVDOpen(): file '/Race/Common/100/GeoHitTableKart.bin' was not found under /.

17:58:678 Core\HW\EXI\EXI_DeviceIPL.cpp:307 N[OSREPORT]: Warning: DVDOpen(): file '/Race/Common/100/GeoHitTableKartObj.bin' was not found under /.
`
Searching online didnt help me at all, even after looking in a broader range.