Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Mayflash Dolphinbar, Google TV and Steamlink
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi - my first post here. I'd like to setup an emulation machine in my study and I'm wondering if I connect a Mayflash Dolphinbar to a Google TV via USB on my TV in the loungeroom if I will be able to play Wii games via Steamlink with a Wiimote? Has anyone tried this?
It doesn't work. The DolphinBar has to be connected to the PC that's running Dolphin.
I'm late on this, but it's worth noting that the bluetooth range on wii remotes is pretty decent and even the official Nintendo sensor bar is nothing more than some infrared LEDs.

Therefore, as long as the actual PC isn't too far away for the bluetooth connection, you can still set up any old USB-powered or wireless sensor bar where the TV is.
(03-16-2022, 01:08 PM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm late on this, but it's worth noting that the bluetooth range on wii remotes is pretty decent and even the official Nintendo sensor bar is nothing more than some infrared LEDs.

Therefore, as long as the actual PC isn't too far away for the bluetooth connection, you can still set up any old USB-powered or wireless sensor bar where the TV is.

I hadn't thought of that...what a brilliant idea! Bluetooth should reach as PC only a few metres away. I'll think I'll give it a try!
(03-16-2022, 01:08 PM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm late on this, but it's worth noting that the bluetooth range on wii remotes is pretty decent and even the official Nintendo sensor bar is nothing more than some infrared LEDs.

Well, it looks like it will work! I've connected the Mayflash wiibar to the PC in my study and can use it fine from the TV room. I've ordered a wireless wii sensor bar for IR if I need it. Only hiccup is that I'm using Steam Link via a phone connected to the the TV and whenenever I run Dolphin via Steam Link I get really low FPS. Works fine on the PC with Steam Link not connected so not sure what the issue is.  I'm running a pretty low spec system (below) but as I said it all runs fine on the PC. 

Intel® Core™ i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz   
8GB RAM
Intel HD 530 using Vulkan gives good performance at native resolution (also has a Nvidia NVS 310 onboard) 
The NVS 310 will definitely be weaker as its basically the Quadro equivalent of a GT 210.

Other than that, make sure that Steam Link is using the iGPU for video encoding as it has QuickSync which I wouldn't think would be an issue if used at the same time as Dolphin or any other 3D polygon-based game.

On the subject of integrated graphics performance, take a look at the following thread where another user with nearly identical specs was trying to run Dolphin on their iGPU (the i3-6100 and i5-6600 have an identical iGPU), with particular focus on using using 2 sticks of RAM rather than 1:

(Linux may or may not also be an option but, in your case, you'd have to still make sure that both bluetooth and QuickSync-accelerated Steam Link actually works, otherwise you might as well stick with Windows assuming that Linux was ever even an option for you anyway)
(03-22-2022, 09:04 AM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote: [ -> ]The NVS 310 will definitely be weaker as its basically the Quadro equivalent of a GT 210.

Other than that, make sure that Steam Link is using the iGPU for video encoding as it has QuickSync which I wouldn't think would be an issue if used at the same time as Dolphin or any other 3D polygon-based game.

On the subject of integrated graphics performance, take a look at the following thread where another user with nearly identical specs was trying to run Dolphin on their iGPU (the i3-6100 and i5-6600 have an identical iGPU), with particular focus on using using 2 sticks of RAM rather than 1:

(Linux may or may not also be an option but, in your case, you'd have to still make sure that both bluetooth and QuickSync-accelerated Steam Link actually works, otherwise you might as well stick with Windows assuming that Linux was ever even an option for you anyway)

Rather fortuitously the ex-office computer I bought had to 2 4gb sticks of ram and running on integrated graphics works just fine. 

When you say make sure Steam Link is using iGPU do you mean turn off hardware encoding?
(03-22-2022, 05:22 PM)Broadscott Wrote: [ -> ]Rather fortuitously the ex-office computer I bought had to 2 4gb sticks of ram and running on integrated graphics works just fine. 

When you say make sure Steam Link is using iGPU do you mean turn off hardware encoding?

Well, I got it all working perfectly! I switched off the AMD and NVIDIA encoding options in Steam Link and it now streams to my TV just as it runs locally with FPS of 60. Incredible that a $150 machine that works perfectly for office computer can also become a game emulator for the couch and TV as well. Kudos to the development team for such amazing software. 

So basically if your computer is within Bluetooth range of your TV all you need a cheap dongle (or old phone) to run Steam Link and you're all good to go. 
(03-22-2022, 05:22 PM)Broadscott Wrote: [ -> ]When you say make sure Steam Link is using iGPU do you mean turn off hardware encoding?

It sounds like you got things working but, just for reference, it'd be the opposite - you'd want hardware encoding turned on.

That being said, whatever setting you're using, there's no reason to change it if it's giving your 60fps anyway.

(03-23-2022, 11:05 AM)Broadscott Wrote: [ -> ]Incredible that a $150 machine that works perfectly for office computer can also become a game emulator for the couch and TV as well. Kudos to the development team for such amazing software.

The fact that you're running emulation rather than native PC games actually has a lot to do with it. Native PC games care much more about the GPU than the CPU while emulation cares much more about the CPU than the GPU, particularly single-threaded CPU performance. And it just so turns out that office tasks also care more about the CPU than the GPU, especially single-threaded CPU performance.

(the one exception to this are workstation PCs which tend to be balanced more like a "stream & game do-it-all" PC would be, that being single-threaded CPU performance that might not be the absolute fastest but usually with very high multi-threaded CPU performance paired with a high-end discrete GPU as well at lots of RAM)