Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Using Dolphin on Windows ARM devices 2022
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I am in the process of getting a device that can run Windows 11 ARM, and what I had troubles was trying to figure out how to go about using Dolphin on it.

For context, I believe Dolphin had an ARM compiler for a while, and in order to use Dolphin and have it run properly in ARM devices (like the Surface Pro X) one had to do a couple of steps to compile the software to do so. I stumbled upon this old Reddit guide showing how to do it.

Where I think I got confused is that other individuals have told me that Dolphin already has ARM support in it and that downloading the Windows version can work on ARM devices out of the box without needing extra steps. However, I was trying to look under this forum and on the Dolphin Wiki for a guide but I cannot seem to find any update or official guide to do so. This would make sense since I know the ARM scene is been slow on Windows, but with the rise of new Snapdragon chipsets for laptops, and upcoming gaming handhelds capable of running Windows ARM, I wanted to find out what I could do to run Dolphin.

Would the Reddit link I provided above be the same steps one would need to do to get Dolphin to run on an ARM device? Or are the Windows executables in the Downloads page be used as is (similar to how Mac files already are Intel/ARM Universal )

Since I am not as tech savvy, it would mean a lot if someone can point me where I can find the necessary resources. Thank you so much!
Nowadays Dolphin should compile for ARM editions of Windows out of the box, we just don't provide pre-compiled builds on the website at the moment. In other words, follow the Windows build instructions on your Windows ARM device and it should work without further changes (don't forget to select Release / ARM64 target on Visual Studio before hitting the compile button).

Edit: to clarify, pre-compiled Windows builds from the website will work on Windows ARM devices but they're not universal binaries (they're x86_64 only) and will run via Windows' built-in x86 => ARM emulation layer. If you want a native ARM binary, at the moment you must compile Dolphin from the source code...
(02-02-2022, 07:41 PM)mbc07 Wrote: [ -> ]Nowadays Dolphin should compile for ARM editions of Windows out of the box, we just don't provide pre-compiled builds on the website at the moment. In other words, follow the Windows build instructions on your Windows ARM device and it should work without further changes (don't forget to select Release / ARM64 target on Visual Studio before hitting the compile button).

Edit: to clarify, pre-compiled Windows builds from the website will work on Windows ARM devices but they're not universal binaries (they're x86_64 only) and will run via Windows' built-in x86 => ARM emulation layer. If you want a native ARM binary, at the moment you must compile Dolphin from the source code...

Thank you so much for this! Now I at least know what to do specifically...
Appreciate the help Smile 

I hope one day once ARM devices in Windows pick up, we can see ARM binaries in the download page <3