Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: System Build for MarioKartWii 4K Split-Screen
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello together,

I would like to build a new PC, that can play Mario Kart Wii 4-Player-Split-Screen at 4K Resolution with 60 FPs.
So every of the 4 Players has Full HD on their part of the screen.

What kind of CPU and GPU would you recommd to me?
I am pretty sure modern harware like RTX 3080 can do this, but I do not want to overspend.

Maybe for comparison my current setup:
- Laptop with Ryzen 4500U
- integrated graphics
- 16 GB RAM, dual channel, 3200 MHz
- Dolphin 5.0-15445

It struggles a bit in Singleplayer at Full HD, while it plays at 720p flawless.
It manages 4-Player-Split-Screen at 720p (full screen is 720p) with 35 to 55 FPS.

Thank you for your help!
Any modern CPU/GPU should be able to do this without much problem.

Though I believe that MKW only supports 30FPS with 3+ players?
(02-01-2022, 11:16 PM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]Any modern CPU/GPU should be able to do this without much problem.

Though I believe that MKW only supports 30FPS with 3+ players?
How do you define modern?
Is the GTX 1050 modern enough?

There is Gecko Code that enables 60 FPS for 3+ players.
You can find it in the MKW dolphin wiki.
I think a GTX 1050 should be fine normally, however I am unsure how well it will work with the 60FPS code.
I did some further testing playing in split-screen with my current setup, and it turns out this hits my CPU hard.
No matter which resolution I tried (even at FullHD), the bottleneck was always the CPU (one thread at 100% and another one close to 100% utilization). Tough it runs better with lower resolutions.

This is in contrast to playing in singleplayer, where the GPU is the limiting factor. In singlepayer at FullHD the most acitve CPU thread is at around 80% utilization, while the GPU is at 100% utilization.

So I guess a GTX 1050 should be fine, as ExtremeDude2 suggested (thanks).
However I think I need a CPU with excelent single core performance.
Maybe a i5-12600K? Or is this overkill?
(02-03-2022, 07:37 PM)SwimmingSubway Wrote: [ -> ]So I guess a GTX 1050 should be fine, as ExtremeDude2 suggested (thanks).
However I think I need a CPU with excelent single core performance.
Maybe a i5-12600K? Or is this overkill?

Would be overkill for sure. If you are just looking to get something cheaper, an i3 should work just fine, dolphin doesn't care about having more cores.
I'm slightly late to this thread but honestly I would think that even the integrated graphics on a Ryzen 5600G would be enough when paired with decent dual-channel RAM (e.g. DDR4-3200 or faster) even if it's in 4k (3-4 years ago I ran 3-player F-Zero GX at ~45fps with a CPU bottleneck on an old Radeon HD5850 at 1440p with 4x SSAA and therefore basically 5k, and the 5600G has a faster GPU than the HD5850).

That being said, if you can get a GT 1050 for only like $100 USD, then an i3-12100 + GT 1050 would definitely be a superior option for Dolphin for a similar cost (as long as you're getting an LGA1700 motherboard with DDR4 of course rather than expensive DDR5!)

----------------

But while I'm here, since the hardware sub-forum doesn't see anywhere as much activity as it used to and therefore this thread may be on the first page even many months from now, I want to point out that various RDNA2-equipped Ryzen processors should have integrated graphics either comparable to or faster than a GT 1050, such as the Ryzen 6000 series (currently laptop only, but will likely come to desktop at some point with iGPU performance that's somewhat faster than their laptop equivalents).

Additionally there's also a rumored 12nm 4core Zen3+RDNA2 APU that should also launch at some point (maybe it'll be a new Athlon alongside Zen4/AM5 Ryzen?) However, it's also possible it'll only have GPU performance comparable to the existing AM4-socket Ryzen APUs.

Lastly it's even theoretically possible that the Steam Deck itself may have integrated graphics that are faster than the Ryzen 5600G due to its RDNA2+LPDDR5, and that's basically a complete budget gaming PC at $400 for the 64GB model... though if your Ryzen 4500U was resulting in a CPU bottleneck, then the Steam Deck's CPU probably will as well as they're both Zen2 APUs.
Thank you for your extensive answer Nintendo Maniac 64.
And your not late, it won't be until a few months that I'm starting building this PC.

However, I think you misunderstod something. Right now my system is only CPU bottlenecked when I'm playing 4 player Split-Screen.
In singleplayer the CPU is not used as much and I am starting to be GPU bottlenecked.
In singleplayer I can almost play at 1080p, while in multiplayer it doesn't even run that well at native resoltion (with 60FPS Code enabled of course).

So I don't think that the 5600G is good enough, because its iGPU is not 4x times better than than my 4500U iGPU, which already struggles a bit at 1080p.
(Thats based on the assumption that for 4K you need roughly 4x times as much graphical computing power than on 1080p. I might be wrong on that, I am not an expert.)

Your suggested Ryzen 6000 series however might be good enough, since it should deliver major iGPU improvemnts.
If AMD releases a desktop variant, this can be an interessting option.
Sorry Nintendo Maniac 64,

you did not misunderstand me, I did misunderstand you regarding the CPU bottleneck.
To make it short, with my current setup I am limited both by my CPU and by my GPU.

Unfortunately I could not edit my previous comment, because it was not yet released.