Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Should be good?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

darkangel

Hi, I apologize if I confused something or didn't understand, it would be great if you indicated what exactly or gave some tips.

I plan to build a PC, specifically for emulating old consoles. The most powerful thing I plan to emulate is the Gamecube. I would like to play on an old CRT TV by connecting a computer via a special driver, I don't plan to use any special hacks (except maybe 60 FPS or a little anti-aliasing). I'd like to have all the games in one place, and I think Retroarch would be the best fit.

Should be good for 480i or 480p for Gamecube on most demanding games? Your suggestion?

i3-10100f or i3-9100f
8gb 2666Mhz
amd rx 460 (4GB)

Thanks!
You'll be fine for 480p on 99.9% of the library. The last percent (stuff like Rogue Squadron III) simply doesn't run well on any hardware at this time, so don't worry about those. For the majority of games you're likely to play though, you won't even stress the hardware running Dolphin. These days, you'd have to have a real potato to not run games smoothly at the lowest resolution. Even $300 laptops with low-tier integrated graphics from 5 years ago meet that requirement for the most part, so rest assured Big Grin

darkangel

(01-18-2022, 02:18 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]You'll be fine for 480p on 99.9% of the library. The last percent (stuff like Rogue Squadron III) simply doesn't run well on any hardware at this time, so don't worry about those. For the majority of games you're likely to play though, you won't even stress the hardware running Dolphin. These days, you'd have to have a real potato to not run games smoothly at the lowest resolution. Even $300 laptops with low-tier integrated graphics from 5 years ago meet that requirement for the most part, so rest assured Big Grin

Thank you. What about i3-4610? Too old or will be sufficient for that low resolution? Blush
It should be fine with the igpu for at least 1x, you probably could do 2x or even 3x in lighter game though with the igpu. You could get past this limit with rx 460 which easily would do 3x in most if not all games. It might have some issues with a few more games in terms of cpu performence but it wouldn't be that bad in most cases.Instead of 99.9% that Shonumi post with a current cpu you might be fine with like 95% of the games.

terramakes

i'm not an expert on AMD, but CPU wise you should be good for most of the Gamecube/Wii library

there might possibly be a few exceptions; i know rogue squadron 3 is notoriously difficult to run, as with some late wii games, but i think for the most part you should be fine

darkangel

Hi again. I was thinking, maybe I should buy an optiplex mini pc with an i5-4590 (4 core 3.7 GHz), it is ok?
The CPU side of this is OK for most games. At this point the i5-4590 is an outdated CPU, but it should get the job done for everything aside from demanding games, e.g. it'll be good for a majority of the titles in Dolphin.

Are you planning on throwing in a discrete GPU? I know the market is crazy right now in terms of pricing, but the i5-4590's HD4600 pretty old, even for 480p gameplay. Based on my experiences with faster/more recent Intel IGPs (specifically the HD620), you might be cutting it close for some games. Practically any entry-level GPU made in the past 10 years would guarantee solid performance 480p though.

darkangel

(01-30-2022, 12:00 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]The CPU side of this is OK for most games. At this point the i5-4590 is an outdated CPU, but it should get the job done for everything aside from demanding games, e.g. it'll be good for a majority of the titles in Dolphin.

Are you planning on throwing in a discrete GPU? I know the market is crazy right now in terms of pricing, but the i5-4590's HD4600 pretty old, even for 480p gameplay. Based on my experiences with faster/more recent Intel IGPs (specifically the HD620), you might be cutting it close for some games. Practically any entry-level GPU made in the past 10 years would guarantee solid performance 480p though.

I was planning to buy an RX 460 or something close in performance if (when) prices recover. Anyway, thank you for answer  Shy