Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is there a way to record dolphin with OBS or something similar?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

ValentinaSama66

Hey! First time posting here on the forums!

So, I wanted an updated answer to: Is there a way to record Dolphin footage?
I've seen y'all talking about dumping a few years back (like 2017), but since we're now in 2021, I would love to know if there's a new way to record game footage with OBS or any software like that. I know that I can't just record it randomly since I tried that before and got a lagging mess of a footage. I see dumping as a nice alternative even with all de bugs I've heard about it, but before doing anything, might as well talk to the people who know Dolphin!

Ps: I only intend to record Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door for a video essay I intend to make about the game. Heart

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to give an answer/solution!
I've had no problem Twitch streaming with Dolphin using OBS, so I don't see why recording with it should be that much of an issue.
Are you using the NVENC encoder?
The GeForce 940MX die doesn't have NVENC (assuming the system specs on OP's profile are accurate). You should still be able to use Intel Quick Sync Video encoder from the iGPU, though...
Try with Intel Quick Sync at 720p60 and see if that works without issue. Then try 1080p30, and then 1080p60. Turn off Psycho-visual tuning if it's enabled (if you're using Quick-sync).

I didn't know that the 940MX doesn't have NVENC. I did some research, turns out there's 2 variants of the 940mx, the GM107 and GM108, where the GM107 has the NVENC hardware and the GM108 does not.
OBS blacklists both variants in their ffmpeg encoder to prevent issues.
Yep, there were a few exceptions in the past but nowadays, if it's a laptop GeForce card without an accompanying GTX or RTX prefix in the product name, it definitely lacks NVENC...