Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Options for Old CPU + Decent GPU
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

cashboxz01

I'm a pretty casual retro gamer, who likes quality. I own a PC which is quite old, but does have a decent GPU. I pretty much never use the PC, because life gets busy, and I have a decent MacBook Pro. However, instead of the PC just sitting there, I'd rather use it to play some Wii+GC games enhanced. The CPU isn't bad per se, but just quite old: i7-2600. PC has following specs:
  • Asus Maximus V Gene Motherboard
    Intel Core i7-2600 CPU
    2x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2333 (dual channel)
    EVGA GTX 980 TI SSC+ ACX 2.0 6GB
    Samsung 850 EVO 1TB (520MB/s) (MZ-75E1T0B/AM)

I own an LG C9 OLED TV. What's the best settings I could output to the TV with dolphin and not face any frame rate issues? I've played Super Mario Sunshine and Galaxy on my TV using the Nintendo Switch, and the games look out of this world good (on-par with current gen Nintendo games), and want the same type of experience on the forgotten classics.
That's a VERY old CPU. Dolphin is an application that is reliant on single thread performance, and the i5-2600 is very lacking in that department compared to modern CPUs. You can run Dolphin on it, absolutely, and many games will be playable, but you won't be able to play demanding titles on it.

Normally I'd recommend you overclock the hell out of that chip, as the bridge era really held back on performance and you can get +1ghz out of them pretty easily, buuut you didn't say 2600k, so you probably can't do that.