Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: RESOLVED! game screen comes up blank and locks up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

unknowable

RESOLVED!  As JosJuice told me below, I just needed to re-rip the disc into .wbfs format.  I did that last night, and now it runs great, even full screen!  I'm so happy I get to play my old favorite again, and now on the computer.  Big Grin

At any rate, this issue is completely resolved and I don't want anyone to waste any time trying to figure it out.  Apparently the message that Dolphin was giving me - "Tried to decrypt data from a non-Wii volume" - had nothing whatsoever to do with my encrypted partition, I got that message because I screwed up ripping it.  So no worries, problem solved, read the thread anyway if you want to know a little about how Dolphin reacts to bad rips.  Smile

Oh, and one more thing!  I just wanted to apologize to the mods for the many posts I made last night.  What happened is this:  I spent several minutes making my post and hit the publish button.  Then a message popped up, something about new posts, and then like a second later I was returned to this subforum.  I refreshed the page, but no new post.  I was so disappointed because I had done so much work.  So I did the only natural thing: I hit the Back button and there was my post still loaded!  So I submitted it again to see if I could catch the message, but I wasn't fast enough.  Eventually I figured out to submit the post, highlight the message and hit Ctrl-C, then when it forwarded me back into this forum, I hit Ctrl-V in the URL field at the top of my browser.  There it was, new posts must be approved by a mod.

Oops.

It seems to me that that is a serious user interface issue.  If there's a message someone needs to see, especially a brand new user, *especially* when it's a few sentences long, that should be posted long enough for the user to read it - like a popup that shows until the user clicks on it, THEN the post is submitted for approval.  To me personally, that is a serious user interface issue that needs to be resolved.  I'm surprised it hasn't come up before.  Maybe I just read too slow.   Big Grin

Anyway, here's the original issue if you want to read it anyway:

SYSTEM SPECS:

HP Elite 8300 w/ Intel i5-3470 3.2 GHz CPU, 8GB RAM (preinstalled,) and plenty of drive space.  Brand new Linux user on elementary OS 6 Odin which is built on Ubuntu 20.04.03 LTS x64.  My home partition (where everything is installed) is LUKS encrypted, but I enter the password at initial startup time and it no longer affects me in any way (that I know of.) The command "lspci | grep VGA." (without the quotes) returns the following:

Code:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)

Coming from decades of Windows use, so I do understand basic troubleshooting but I don't have much idea what to do in Linux.

Interested in using Dolphin 5.0 to play one game - Dragon's Lair Trilogy for Wii.  Compiled and installed Dolphin 5.0 with no errors, but have never gotten it emulating the game at all.

Here's the issue:

Dolphin opens fine and shows my one game, and when I try to run it the game window pops up blank and Dolphin stops responding.  I have to force close the entire app and reopen it to try again.  Notice the Log window shows nothing.

[Image: qTArOd4.jpeg]

Also I've noticed that when I right click on the game and go to Properties, I get 4 consecutive errors that all say the same thing:  "Tried to decrypt data from a non-Wii volume."  Still nothing in the Log window.

[Image: vEwbW2c.jpeg]

I've tried setting it to software video rendering instead of OpenGL but no change.  In Config, I'm using all the default options, such as JIT Recompiler and DSP HLE emulation.

Please understand that while I do understand how computers work, I'm still pretty new to Linux and don't really know how to do things.  I need your patience and step by step instructions, please.  That being said, thank you so much for your time and insight - it is greatly appreciated.
You've converted the game to the NKit format. Don't do that.

unknowable

(11-25-2021, 03:09 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]You've converted the game to the NKit format. Don't do that.

Yah, I'm a night person and I actually posted this last night but since it's my first post it had to be allowed.  I was up all night anyway, so I did some research and found out that I can also rip to .wbfs I think it was.  Anyway, I re-ripped and now it runs great!  Just about to update the main thread so nobody wastes any time helping me.

Thanks, JosJuice!
I'm happy for you that you got the help you needed to get the game running, but I'm a bit confused. You said you're so happy to get your favorite game finally working on your computer, but it's been available on PC for several years. I myself have like 3 copies of it. One from Amazon, one from GOG and one from Steam. There were much easier ways to play it on PC if that's what you were trying to accomplish

unknowable

(11-25-2021, 12:09 PM)envisaged0ne Wrote: [ -> ]I'm happy for you that you got the help you needed to get the game running, but I'm a bit confused.  You said you're so happy to get your favorite game finally working on your computer, but it's been available on PC for several years.  I myself have like 3 copies of it.  One from Amazon, one from GOG and one from Steam.  There were much easier ways to play it on PC if that's what you were trying to accomplish

Wow!  I guess I just never got around to picking it up.  Well, that and I've heard that all the other versions are inaccurate to a degree.  Even Don Bluth's Trilogy has additions that the original didn't have, but I'm willing to *add*  stuff, I just don't want a totally different game.  So yah, I know there were other versions made, I just didn't want something not true to Bluth's original laserdisc adventure.  Big Grin