Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Updates for publishing FFCC TAS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone Smile

I'm a TASer of the game Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, and I love to do it. Dolphin recently added integrated GBAs, which do work marvelously for this game, as it has many fonctions with GBA, including multiplayer.

Unfortunately, tasvideos.org does not want to publish a game that is not correctly encodable. Using GBAs makes the game faster on about all means, but they can't currently be encoded. I am making this thread because I'm curious on the development of the implementation of GBA encoding.

On a similar note, the Any% category consist in switching controllers mid run (going from 2 GBAs to 1 GC controller). It does not seem to be possible at the moment to record the whole TAS in a single dtm file because of that, which is also a problem in TAS publication, because the video is then segmented. I'm wondering if there is any plan on fixing that.

GBAs make the current published any% TAS extremely outdated, that's why I'm asking. Of course, there's no pressure, I would feel bad to force Dolphin devs to go faster or something.

Thank you <3
(11-03-2021, 03:38 AM)Wobmiar Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately, tasvideos.org does not want to publish a game that is not correctly encodable. Using GBAs makes the game faster on about all means, but they can't currently be encoded. I am making this thread because I'm curious on the development of the implementation of GBA encoding.

I don't think we have any concrete plans for who will add this or when, but I agree with you, it's something I would like to see get added to Dolphin.

(11-03-2021, 03:38 AM)Wobmiar Wrote: [ -> ]On a similar note, the Any% category consist in switching controllers mid run (going from 2 GBAs to 1 GC controller). It does not seem to be possible at the moment to record the whole TAS in a single dtm file because of that, which is also a problem in TAS publication, because the video is then segmented. I'm wondering if there is any plan on fixing that.

The DTM format as it currently exists really isn't designed to do this kind of thing. Just the ability to record a soft reset is already a hack. Unfortunately I don't think this is going to happen in the near future, because it would probably take a big overhaul of the DTM format (which is something I have had ideas about, but it's a big project and I don't have much time for it right now).
Thank you for the answer Smile