Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is the S10 Lite (SD 855) really better than my Notebook? (Ryzen 5 3500U, Radeon 650)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

JorgeMaker

I've been a Dolphin user on mobile for over a year now and I've always played GC and Wii games on my mobile with great performance, even using graphics optimizations (2x and even 3x). The phone in question is a Samsung S10 Lite and it is indeed a powerful phone.
However, I never imagined that a cell phone could be better than an low-intermediate notebook like mine. At least that's what it looks like given the tests I ran.
While on my cell phone I can play Mario Sunshine at full speed and with 3X resolution, on my notebook there are bottlenecks and reduced speed, this in native resolution!

I really just want to hear from you guys how tangible this is. Is my cell phone actually more powerful than my Notebook or is there possibly something I might be doing wrong? As for dolphin settings, both on the PC and on the cell phone, I only use the native settings, from the moment the program is installed.

The advantage of the PC, however, is that with it I can surf my Dualsense's gyroscope (perfect for playing Mario Galaxy), despite the lower performance.

PC:
Ryzen 5 3500U
Radeon 650
8GB RAM (5.9)
256GB SSD

Phone:
1x 2.84 GHz Kryo 485 + 3x 2.42 GHz Kryo 485 + 4x 1.8 GHz Kryo 485
Snapdragon 855 Qualcomm SM8150
Adreno 640
6GB RAM
128 GB
That Ryzen is not such a beast. Whole SoC is 15W at 14 nm process while SD is 10 W TDP at 7nm process.

GPu part of Ryzen (Radeon) has 8 cu, so thats only entry configuration. It might not be suitable for hi res.

And yea.. i wouldnt expect mobiles could match laptops in such a short time.
Just remember that CPU performance and GPU performance are separate (there is some overlap due to the shared wattage but, mostly separate here). The AMD APU should be stronger on the CPU side which will allow Dolphin to run fullspeed in more of the GC/Wii catalog, while the Snapdragon should be stronger on the GPU side, allowing for higher resolution.

Mainly it's just due to how weak Integrated Radeon GPUs were in that time. They have improved MUCH since then!