Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What is the exact refresh rate of 100% speed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
All I'm trying to set up a custom resolution for a CRT monitor that uses the exact exact (up to 3 decimal places, e.g. 23.976 Hz) refresh rate of whatever the exact refresh rate of Dolphin running at 100% speed, but I couldn't find anything stating what the refresh rate is other than the usual "59" or "60" (and I guess "50" for PAL games) that lack the decimal places that I'm specifically looking for.

I realize this is something that could very easily be answered with a variable refresh monitor running Dolphin in exclusive fullscreen and your monitor's OSD enabled, not to mention that a VRR display would also easily solve the need for making a custom resolution with the exact refresh rate in the first place, but I don't own a VRR-capable display nor do I know anybody that does... and my main interest is for use on a CRT monitor anyway.

The main reason I thought of this is that, according to mGBA's own built-in settings, the GBA's native refresh rate is actually 59.7275Hz rather than the usual 59.94 or 60.00Hz that one typically associates with "60fps."
I want to say 59.94Hz is correct, but I'm not a developer ofc and I don't remember for sure.
Modern versions of Dolphin run at either 59.94 Hz or 50 Hz for normal games. (By 59.94 Hz, I mean exactly 60*1000/1001, as is standard for NTSC.)
(10-05-2021, 12:56 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Modern versions of Dolphin run at either 59.94 Hz or 50 Hz for normal games. (By 59.94 Hz, I mean exactly 60*1000/1001, as is standard for NTSC.)

I guess while I'm here, I can ask if that is in fact what the GameCube / Wii ran at?
(10-05-2021, 04:01 AM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote: [ -> ]I guess while I'm here, I can ask if that is in fact what the GameCube / Wii ran at?

Yes, as far as I know it is. (If it isn't, it must be very close.)
(10-05-2021, 04:11 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, as far as I know it is. (If it isn't, it must be very close.)

What about the virtual console stuff? It was my impression that the older 2D consoles didn't actually output an exact 59.94Hz - I don't suppose this mean the VC games are actually running ever so slightly faster?
(10-06-2021, 05:09 AM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote: [ -> ]What about the virtual console stuff?  It was my impression that the older 2D consoles didn't actually output an exact 59.94Hz - I don't suppose this mean the VC games are actually running ever so slightly faster?

At least in the case of the NES and SNES, the Virtual Console games are running slightly slower than the original console, since the original consoles are running at about 60.0988 Hz (NTSC).
(10-06-2021, 05:14 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]At least in the case of the NES and SNES, the Virtual Console games are running slightly slower than the original console, since the original consoles are running at about 60.0988 Hz (NTSC).

Do you know if that impacts the audio, like it runs at an ever so slightly lower pitch? (much in the same way that Dolphin will if you set it to something less than 100% when stretching is not enabled)
That part I'm actually not sure about.
(10-06-2021, 05:25 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]That part I'm actually not sure about.

If bsnes v115's timing is to be believed, then Dolphin does indeed play the audio a teeny bit slower.

But I'm having quite a bit of difficulty determining if the SNES VC is playing it slightly lower pitched or if it's actually sampling the audio directly at a slower speed yet at the same pitch (similar to how the final lap in specifically Mario Kart 64 plays faster but at the same pitch unlike later console Mario Kart games).

Interestingly, when doing some ABX testing, my audiophile-ears can hear the pitch difference between 59.94Hz and 60.0988Hz in the same SNES music recording if I slightly speed up one or slow down the other.

However, if I try to directly compare the SNES VC and bsnes v115, the audio quality in the SNES VC (or at least Super Metroid) seems to be a bit clearer than bsnes's default gaussian filter (though AFAICT the VC isn't using a cubic filter either since bsnes's cubic filtering sounds much clearer) which causes the highs to be more pronounced on Dolphin and therefore makes Dolphin at 100% speed sound ever so slightly higher pitched than bsnes at its default speed.

(for reference I made sure to do all the necessary steps so that the audio recordings were the same, like lining up their waveforms, applying r128gain, etc)

Now admittedly I did use the DSP dump function in Dolphin rather than do a recording like I did in bsnes, but I've previously confirmed that recording the "speakers" in my v2.1.2 copy of Audacity portable with volume at 100% is an exact sample-for-sample match in other software if the recorded sampling rate matches the input audio (e.g. Ren'Py, if fed a 48kHz 16bit FLAC and its in-engine volume slider is maxed out, plays it back bit-for-bit identical to the source FLAC file which I discovered via the very same recording method)