Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Rogue Squadron II Poor Performance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

So this has been going on for quite a while now, but I finally decided to post a question about it.  When I try running Rogue Squadron II, it only runs around 38-47fps.  I've tried just about every setting there is, and nothing makes a difference.  I've tried using OpenGL and Vulkan.  It used to run perfectly at 60fps so I'm wondering if there's been a regression in Dolphin that doesn't allow it to play at full speed.  Does anyone have any ideas to what could help improve the performance?
Is there a level or part of level in particular or is this a general problem. I know last I knew going in and out of the cockpit did have slow down even for my r9 5900x, but in generally it was running at full speed the last time I play the game a few month back. I did try the first real level and didn't notice any problems though before posting this. Also I notice you profile says 5.0, it highly recommend to use the current beta\dev though what you post you most likely have already did this. Have you try direct 11 or 12.
I do know of a couple things that are slower. 5.0-540 slowed down MMU games a bit https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2016/09/06/...page-table. Defer EFB copies was also disabled a year ago https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/c...374ab41f7b
(09-30-2021, 12:59 AM)Craftyawesome Wrote: [ -> ]Defer EFB copies was also disabled a year ago https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/c...374ab41f7b

For reference, deferred EFB copies didn't exist until 2018.
Sorry, I just haven't updated my profile in a while. I'm using a recent version of Dolphin that I downloaded a few days ago. The slowdown happens pretty much right when the game starts. In game the FPS tends to jump all over the place. I can't get it to stay and a constant 60fps. Again, it tends to run between 38-47fps. Sometimes it'll go up to 60fps, but not for very long
What’s the version of Dolphin that’s known to run RS2 with the best performance?
Personally I don't know. I bought a new computer a little over a year ago and tested the game on whatever recent version of Dolphin was around at the time. It played at a smooth 60fps and didn't suffer any stuttering. I periodically have updated Dolphin. Usually do it once or twice a month. I decided to play the game a couple months ago and noticed the poor performance. Off and on, I messed with just about every setting and nothing made a difference. I even copied the game and emulator to my SSD card just to make sure it wasn't something going on there. After trying everything I could think of, I decided to post the problem here, in case someone could come up with another idea I hadn't thought of
*UPDATE:* Well, the problem is gone now. I decided to update to Windows 11 and now the game is running flawlessly again. I don't know why that changed. On Windows 10, I ran customizing programs like Windowblinds and OpenShell. I don't see how they would have effected anything, but those are really the only programs I'm no longer using on Windows 11. Anyway, thought I'd give an update and letcha know the game runs smoothly since updating to Windows 11 Smile