Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dumped NAND from Wii, Dolphin has read/write issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

NuclearCore_

Hi there, this is my first post on here so I hope I'm doing this right.

So basically, I dumped my NAND from my Wii using bootmii because I wanted my old saves on Dolphin. Backing up the NAND from the Wii was very straightforward and so was importing the nand.bin into Dolphin. However, after I did that, Dolphin had issues reading some parts of the system memory.

If I try to go into the Wii system settings and then saves, it gives me a whole bunch of 'invalid write' warnings that, if ignored, still let me access the system memory. In there, it first shows a whole page of New Super Mario Bros. saves that all appear to be the same. If I switch from Wii System to SD Card and back, the NSMB saves are replaced by my old ones, but a whole bunch of game saves are missing.

This also reflects back to when I want to use the Nintendo WFC via wiimmfi on Mario Strikers Charged, it tells me that an error occurred accessing the Wii System data and that no more files could be written or loaded. Mario Kart Wii connects to wiimmfi just fine, so I don't know what the problem is.

This all isn't an issue on the original Wii that I dumped the files off of btw. Something maybe worth mentioning is that I changed dolphin's generic MAC address to the one the old Wii had via dolphin.ini. I don't know if that changes anything.

Now I'm wondering what could've happened. Did bootmii mess something up in the dumping process and I should just try again, or is there a setting in Dolphin that I missed somewhere? It would be nice if someone could help me out here.

Thanks!
I think those are symptoms of the NAND being overfull. When you import a NAND dump into Dolphin, Dolphin merges the contents of the imported NAND dump with the existing Dolphin NAND. So if you have, say, 200 MiB worth of WiiWare games installed in Dolphin and 400 MiB of various content in your NAND dump, you'll end up with a total of 600 MiB (assuming there's no overlap in content between the two), which is over the 512 MiB limit.

So, my suggestion would be to try deleting the contents of the Wii folder in Documents/Dolphin Emulator/ before importing the NAND. (This will delete all Wii save files and other Wii data, so I would suggest making a backup of the folder first.)

NuclearCore_

(09-24-2021, 12:49 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]I think those are symptoms of the NAND being overfull. When you import a NAND dump into Dolphin, Dolphin merges the contents of the imported NAND dump with the existing Dolphin NAND. So if you have, say, 200 MiB worth of WiiWare games installed in Dolphin and 400 MiB of various content in your NAND dump, you'll end up with a total of 600 MiB (assuming there's no overlap in content between the two), which is over the 512 MiB limit.

So, my suggestion would be to try deleting the contents of the Wii folder in Documents/Dolphin Emulator/ before importing the NAND. (This will delete all Wii save files and other Wii data, so I would suggest making a backup of the folder first.)

Thank you, I was just in the process of doing that because I noticed remnants of my prior NAND, so I did just as you said and it's working perfectly now. In that case though, I find the wording in Dolphin a little confusing, because it states that it'll overwrite anything that already exists. Technically, that isn't wrong, because it'll only overwrite stuff that's already in the NAND, but I thought Dolphin would outright replace the previously used NAND.

Thanks a lot for the response though!