Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin keeps crashing randomly when using Direct3D 12
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

neo01

I'm using one of the development versions of Dolphin (5.0-14398). Now I'll admit my specs are not very great at all. but they're *just* good enough for me to run most games stable. I want to use Direct3D 12 as my graphic backend as most games run way smoother with it. Direct3D 11 is good enough for some games but they can stick to around 60-70% speed which is distracting.

The problem is that when Direct3D 12, tons of games randomly crash. in Super Monkey Ball 2 every time I start a stage. Just before the monkey spawns the screen freezes, and then the audio will continue to play and even the sounds of the monkey moving play as I move the joystick and push buttons. Almost as if the game is running but the visuals are plastered with a still frame. and when I save or load a state during this issue Dolphin will crash.

This problem happens very randomly on a lot of games. It happened once when an egg broke in Billy Hatcher but I haven't tested the game enough to know if this ALWAYS happens when an egg breaks. it just seems to happen at random for most games. Others include Kirby Air Ride, Chicken Little and Ty the Tasmanian Tiger.

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to emulation and I don't know if this is just a normal problem with the development releases or it's something weird about my graphics card/ram. I can use Direct3D 12 just fine on the latest stable release of 5.0. Monkey Ball 2 works properly in it. but I prefer development versions as it fixes the slowdown I have with certain games (Madagascar). has anyone else had this problem before?
Are your graphics drivers up to date? Have you tried backends other than DirectX? Otherwise my guess is that your hardware just can't handle it.

neo01

Yes. my graphics driver is updated. and I'm able to use Direct3D 11 but games run a little laggier in it. I can't figure out why this happens because as I said before when I use Direct3D 12 on Dolphin 5.0 (the latest stable release) I run into no crashes whatsoever and it's more stable. but I want to stick to the latest development build because it tends to have the smoothest performance. but I can't experience that when Direct3D 12 keeps freezing the emulator randomly when meanwhile it runs with no issue on stable 5.0. I want to figure out what's causing that because I don't want to switch between 2 different emulator versions. 

neo01

Another update I'd like to give. I randomly decided to reset all the settings to see if that would make a difference. it didn't solve the problem, but this time a pop-up has appeared.

"Create failed in C:\buildbot\release-win-x64\build\Source\Core\VideoBackends\D3D12\DX12Texture.cpp at line 117: Create D3D12 texture resource" with the only options being "OK" and "Ignore for this session"

I don't understand! why does this never happen to me on 5.0 stable?
(10-04-2021, 03:16 PM)neo01 Wrote: [ -> ]Another update I'd like to give. I randomly decided to reset all the settings to see if that would make a difference. it didn't solve the problem, but this time a pop-up has appeared.

"Create failed in C:\buildbot\release-win-x64\build\Source\Core\VideoBackends\D3D12\DX12Texture.cpp at line 117: Create D3D12 texture resource" with the only options being "OK" and "Ignore for this session"

I don't understand! why does this never happen to me on 5.0 stable?

5.0 used a different DX12 Backend, it seems that your GFX doesn't fully support the new one.