Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How hard is it to dev?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

alexybubble

I've always somewhat wanted to work on an emulator before, but I've always been so completely intimidated by the prospect that I've never attempted to act on the urge. However, as time goes on, I continuously get more and more annoyed at the same 3 or so games staying as the only games that don't boot on the emulator for multiple years at this point, and it makes me really want to personally take a look at them to see if its possible to fix them. As someone with relatively little experience in this area, is this something that could reasonably be done?
From my experience view, compilation is a usually simple process. It is all about setting the enviroment according to instructions in help files. This is always a first step to programming. You will see if You understand what You do.

After completing first stage (first paragraph), You can change source files and see what it changes in binary. This is first step in real programming. You learn language that emulator is written by. Like C, C++ or other one. You read comments in source. If you are math guy, You change code accordingly.

And most sad part is that writing completely new code is quite almost impossible for inexperienced user. However You can do things like copy-paste thingy. So re use code to get similar effects like in other program. I was making custom game maps by this way. Or scripts or other *side* programmings. But the deal is that the best programmer learn itself.

Emulators's code is complicated. Usually has speed optimizations, that is non-understable for usual human. If You encounter assembly code, immediately show the white flag. But, You can learn how to code without going out the room or Your house. Its up to You if you want to sacrifice 1/4 of your live for learnig programming languages. From i know, people choose those languages that understand, not that particular program is written by.

Please any dev correct my bugs Wink
There are lots of tutorials out there for writing a Chip 8 emulator, which is a decent way to get your feet wet with the basics. Jumping right in with a project as mature as Dolphin will be hard as most of the easy stuff has been done already, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.