Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Removing UI from games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've just started playing Twilight Princess and there are some Icons for the UI which I do not want on screen. Does anybody know how to remove the UI from the game? (In fact I don't want any static images on any game so that would be great). Big Grin
As of right now you might be able to do this with a fully transparent image in a custom texture pack.

I'm working on a generic feature that will be able to do what you're asking for.  The main use case is stretching or moving HUD elements but it can be used to completely "remove" any 2d draw call.  You can see an example of the feature here.  However, it's not ready go in Dolphin yet.  I'm going to rewrite the code after I get some other changes in place...
The Zelda series might use 3D HUD elements though. For Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask the A Button is an 3D object.

Also... This removing "2D Draw Call" seems it might break a lot of objects ingame as well. Luckily it seems you can specify the textures individually to move, instead of just all of them.

The more safer and practical solution would be to either mod it in the ROM / Disc or write an AR Codes that hides the HUD.

One suggestion I may add to it. Would it also be possible to also change the X or Y scale (separately) for these assigned 2D textures? This seems rather useful when Widescreen Hacks stretch out the X scale of these 2D textures (as to unstretch them). Would also be cool if you could set the coordinates for each 2D textures individually (while keeping the option to also move them all at once for ease of use) which can be useful to re-calculate the HUD coordinates for these Widescreen Hacks as well.
(09-02-2021, 06:38 AM)iwubcode Wrote: [ -> ]As of right now you might be able to do this with a fully transparent image in a custom texture pack.

I'm working on a generic feature that will be able to do what you're asking for.  The main use case is stretching or moving HUD elements but it can be used to completely "remove" any 2d draw call.  You can see an example of the feature here.  However, it's not ready go in Dolphin yet.  I'm going to rewrite the code after I get some other changes in place...
That is pretty awesome. I want them moved to prevent screen burn. Once I start playing, I can't stop. Not sure if the UI in TP is 2d or 3d.
(09-02-2021, 07:18 AM)Admentus Wrote: [ -> ]The Zelda series might use 3D HUD elements though. For Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask the A Button is an 3D object.

Yes, that's a good point. I mention this and another issue at the bottom of the PR. I would love to add a similar feature for any 3d objects in the future. But that's likely further off.

But very interesting, had no idea the Zelda series did that!

(09-02-2021, 07:18 AM)Admentus Wrote: [ -> ]Also... This removing "2D Draw Call" seems it might break a lot of objects ingame as well. Luckily it seems you can specify the textures individually to move, instead of just all of them.

Yeah, moving 2d calls can definitely break things. For instance, some games draw the entire scene with a 2d call after doing some operations. If you try to move everything, you'll actually move the scene itself Big Grin. That was what my first iteration did, so the second iteration added targeting specific calls.

(09-02-2021, 07:18 AM)Admentus Wrote: [ -> ]The more safer and practical solution would be to either mod it in the ROM / Disc or write an AR Codes that hides the HUD.

Yeah, I imagine a good mod would take into account all the edge cases you mention. However, most of the AR codes I see are very one-off (remove bloom, remove blur, etc) which likely isn't doing more than what this feature provides (?).

The bigger issue is that I've found there isn't a very active modding community for Wii games (maybe GC is better?), in particular less popular ones. This feature and other features I'm working on are an attempt to allow normal users to make changes to their favorite games without being a wizard or requiring multiple hoops to jump through. I actually did it moreso for myself because I don't know how to mod games (the closest being that I made some cheat codes but finding the 'true' pointer was too annoying for me and I gave up).

Even worse is that Dolphin has no direct mod support (like yuzu, Cemu, citra, etc) so applying mods is a tedious job. Gecko/AR codes can be toggled but there's not really a central location for them anymore (AFAIK?).

(09-02-2021, 07:18 AM)Admentus Wrote: [ -> ]One suggestion I may add to it. Would it also be possible to also change the X or Y scale (separately) for these assigned 2D textures? This seems rather useful when Widescreen Hacks stretch out the X scale of these 2D textures (as to unstretch them). Would also be cool if you could set the coordinates for each 2D textures individually (while keeping the option to also move them all at once for ease of use) which can be useful to re-calculate the HUD coordinates for these Widescreen Hacks as well.

Thanks for the suggestion! Yes, you can stretch individual assigned 2d textures (assuming they are done in separate draw calls). One of the use cases was for ultra-wide users. We actually had someone test this feature with the first iteration, they provided the FZero screenshot in the first post of the PR.

The manual offsets is a good suggestion. I had assumed that's what BigHead was requesting with his comment as well. I plan to allow users to specify direct coordinates (and probably scales) in the 3rd iteration. The idea is to make these (relatively) easy for the community to share.