Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Difference in graphics with correct aspect ratio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Arktis

Hello. I happened to notice some difference in the graphics when setting the aspect ratio. When I choose 16:9, the image becomes a bit worse - a little blurry, not so clear (see my 1st screenshot). When stretched to full screen, the image becomes better - sharper and cleaner (2nd screenshot). The same thing happens with cropping - the image is better. The difference is particularly noticeable in the distance (note the boxes in front). And I'd like to know if this is a bug? How can I play with the correct proportions (16:9) without losing quality, stretching and cropping the image?

P.S. The same thing happens in other games.

[Image: G5-SE7-D-2021-08-08-20-26-49.png]

[Image: G5-SE7-D-2021-08-08-20-26-36.png]
You haven't listed what the game is, but it is probably because it is a Wii game. The GameCube and Wii both render at 640x480 in NTSC*, and to achieve widescreen, the Wii uses non-square pixels. So 16:9 can look softer than 4:3 at the same given resolution. Just increase the internal resolution by +1x to compensate.

*It's actually way more complicated than this but, just, simplifying ok.

Arktis

This happens with any GC game, not Wii. The image on Wii is fine when I select 16:9 and it doesn't change (in quality) when stretched or cropped. I tried increasing the resolution by 4x (although that's excessive for my FullHD). Yes, the image is better, but still not the same as with 3x and stretching or cropping. Anyway, I decided not to bother and chose stretching. And thank you for your answer!