Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Super Mario Sunshine sometimes not booting with LLE audio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
While HLE audio seems to work fine in that game (no issues or inaccuracies at all from comparison to both LLE and gamecube footage) and there are also no reported issues regarding this. Since my PC is powerful enough, I play almost all games with LLE audio anyway just to be safe.

However, Mario Sunshine simply doesn't boot sometimes when LLE audio is enabled. When it does boot, it works fine with no issues or any hangs, pauses or crashes at all, but sometimes it just won't boot at all. At first I thought it might be related to the 60 fps or other custom settings so I reverted everything back to default (options like graphics setting etc, never touched the default config file of course), but the problem still remained. Enabling and disabling sync GPU and single core mode didn't help either, whether the game will boot or not remained random (It doesn't crash, the screen stays black with no audio).

However, after changing to HLE audio, the game always booted successfully and ran fine, not even once it failed to boot or had any issue. Since HLE audio seems to work fine it might not be a big deal here, but I thought it might still worth reporting. It happened to me on several different revisions after 5.0-12000 in the past 10 months, and also in 2 newer revisions 5.0-14344 and 5.0-14628.

I'm using the NTSC version revision 0 disc, and I also made sure to verify that I have a good dump using Dolphin's verifying option.

I'm running Windows 10 64bit, 16GB of ram with 8700k and my GPU is RTX 3080 with up to date drivers (I had a GTX 1080 before, happened with that GPU as well).
This is a long time race condition that's been around for a very long time. It's on the issue tracker.
https://bugs.dolphin-emu.org/issues/11384 Is this the issue? It never happened to me with Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 anyway, only with Sunshine.