Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Considering building a laptop.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi! I am considering building a laptop designed for Dolphin and I was wondering parts you guys recommend I use for it in order to get the best performance out of Dolphin. I am currently using a 2014 Dell Latitude E6530 with Intel Ivy Bridge with Intel Core i5 and Intel HD 4000 Graphics, and while it runs all the games that I play nearly perfectly (there is some minor lag here and there), I noticed on Super Paper Mario that due to a graphical glitch, I cannot progress any further in World 1-4. Basically, there is a spot where I need to use the Thrower Pixel to hit a switch, but for whatever reason, he disappeared when I entered the room with said switch and pressing 1 does nothing, rendering me stuck. Going back to the previous room where he was previously visible does nothing as he now does not show up in that room either. I am attributing this to the Ivy Bridge processor as this glitch, as far as I remember, did not occur on my Haswell Dell Inspiron tower. Any help you guys have would be greatly appreciated!
(07-17-2021, 01:38 AM)Moline Wrote: [ -> ]Hi! I am considering building a laptop designed for Dolphin and I was wondering parts you guys recommend I use for it in order to get the best performance out of Dolphin. I am currently using a 2014 Dell Latitude E6530 with Intel Ivy Bridge with Intel Core i5 and Intel HD 4000 Graphics, and while it runs all the games that I play nearly perfectly (there is some minor lag here and there), I noticed on Super Paper Mario that due to a graphical glitch, I cannot progress any further in World 1-4. Basically, there is a spot where I need to use the Thrower Pixel to hit a switch, but for whatever reason, he disappeared when I entered the room with said switch and pressing 1 does nothing, rendering me stuck. Going back to the previous room where he was previously visible does nothing as he now does not show up in that room either. I am attributing this to the Ivy Bridge processor as this glitch, as far as I remember, did not occur on my Haswell Dell Inspiron tower. Any help you guys have would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry for double post, but I have an update. I was finally able to beat World 1-3 (That's what level I was on, not 1-4). I fixed the Pixels graphical glitch and soo many more issues by just simply downgrading to an older Dolphin build compiled around the time Ivy Bridge was in (This particular build was compiled 7 years ago, so about 2 years after Ivy dropped and 1 year after Haswell dropped). Moving the Paper Mario data over, the Thrower Pixel remained on screen in the room I got stuck in on the latest build and I was able to successfully use him to hit the switch, thus allowing me to continue on (about to start World 4). Regardless, I am still interested in building a new, souped up laptop that can run Dolphin flawlessly as both my main Dolphin rigs are about a year apart in age and older computers (The Ivy Bridge one from 2014 and the Haswell one from 2015). Basically, excellent graphics, excellent processor, 16GB or higher RAM, Built-in Bluetooth, Windows 10 (or 11 if that is out by the time I decide to go through with this) and anything else you guys suggest that may be beneficial. Again, thanks in advanced for your guys suggestions/help.
Do you have a budget in mind for what you're looking to spend. Do you want new or used?
(07-17-2021, 12:03 PM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have a budget in mind for what you're looking to spend. Do you want new or used?

I want it to be new. I would prefer it to be as cheap as possible.