Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: DVD Film format Capability
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

3D Archives

Hello Dolphin Team and Community! I have question regarding Dolphins DVD format capabilities, to assist me capturing 3D content for Archive/Preservation. In this case, Movie playback, is it possible since the Panasonic Q had the capability? Via the emulator. I'm trying to capture, and work out the shift and depth of each project, in 3D (anaglyph 3D). I currently use iqmango as a conversion tool for videos/films into 3D, knowing and testing Dolphins 3D capabilities using games, it would be able to assist me greatly. EACH game ive found so far has a VERY unique setting. Example Mario Party 4 is low shift, high depth for its 3D viewing, then if you wanna play something different, you have to re adjust it each game. WORKS AND LOOKS BEAUTIFUL (thank you Dolphin Devs for even including this feature you are a god send)!!! If Movie/Video playback is possible on Dolphin, then in theory playing back ALL that go through can be in 3D like the games (anaglyph).

I AM CURRENTLY (I've looked) THE ONLY person on the internet preserving, and archiving 3D films, and projects for future generations. Looking for them (Freddys Dead, Spy Kids, Jaws, etc) 3D films/content specifically is NOT being preserved like our games, and films are. AND ARE GETTING EXTREMELY HARD TO FIND BOTH LEGALY AND ILLEGALY. Trust me, I've tried, they simply DO NOT EXIST OUSIDE OF 3rd PARTY SALES.... The tech DOES WORK when just a requirements are met to view 3D. Viewing angel, lighting, adjustment to the shift and depth of each project. In order to study it more as a 3D film/Content hobbyist, I need something better in every sense to work with, Dolphin might be the answer to my quest. Thank you again Dolphin team and community for even considering putting 3D in Dolphin. Since discovering this feature, you single handedly sparked my quest to preserve/archive ANYTHING 3D, from films to games, and even create my own 3D content on YouTube. Cheers fellas! 3D Archives/ShempTheNight on Twitter  Heart
No, Dolphin does not emulate the Panasonic Q, and does not emulate the ability of early Wii disc drive models to read DVD Video discs either. The latter may happen at some point, but it's a very low-priority thing.

Do note that if playing a DVD ever becomes possible in Dolphin, the playback will be completely 2D. Dolphin's stereoscopic rendering enhancements do not do anything useful for pre-rendered video, only for graphics rendered by the GameCube/Wii GPU.

3D Archives

thank you for the reply! I do not mind the wait if the feature ever comes available. For my research studies, only Anaglyph 3D is required, stereoscopic will come very further down the line (years) if i ever. THEORY and reply to the 2nd part. IF the project IS already produced in 3D (using the 2D version as viewing base) then in theory WITH Dolphins 3D anaglyph capabilities jus to assist, it SHOULD be possible to view projects TRUE 3D, and set said project just like the 3D counterpart. Again. 3D, yeah, I know. But if something is not done (for films, games, etc that are in 3D or NEED RE-3D-ing like Freddys Dead, that one you REALLY CANNNOT FIND) the whole thing Literally
is/will become lost to time for those who actually do want to see what the jazz was about (trust me when it works, BOY does it work like VR when done RIGHT). Google is already getting people confused thinking that 360 degree pictures is 3D. Is it not. That is VR. There is a HUGE difference. Thank you again for the reply, it really does mean alot! I would not be asking these questions if it was not of the up most importance for the preservation scene (literally, TRY FINDING ANYTHING 3D, ITS REALLY REALLY REALLY HARD EVEN FOR PRESERVATION)! Good work etc on all the aspects on 5! HOPE the feature is considered at some point! Using I!mango only does so much, and each time is a guess at the proper settings, Dolphin does this on the fly, Dolphin specifically teaches one what and how 3D works, and thanks to the knowledge. I will not give up! Cheers felleas! 3DArchives/ShempTheNight on twitter
(07-16-2021, 04:50 PM)3D Archives Wrote: [ -> ]For my research studies, only Anaglyph 3D is required, stereoscopic will come very further down the line (years) if i ever.

I meant anaglyph 3D as well. The only way you're going to be able to get meaningful anaglyph 3D out of pre-rendered video in Dolphin is if the video is encoded in anaglyph 3D to begin with (like this Spy Kids 3 DVD I have).

(07-16-2021, 04:50 PM)3D Archives Wrote: [ -> ]IF the project IS already produced in 3D (using the 2D version as viewing base) then in theory WITH Dolphins 3D anaglyph capabilities jus to assist, it SHOULD be possible to view projects TRUE 3D, and set said project just like the 3D counterpart.

No, this doesn't make sense. If the video is pre-rendered, there is nothing Dolphin can do (other than applying the same depth to the entire image, which I doubt you would find useful). And everything on a DVD is pre-rendered.
Quote:Google is already getting people confused thinking that 360 degree pictures is 3D. Is it not. That is VR.

It's not VR, either. VR needs to be 3D, and ideally something you can interact with, or at least move around inside. You can watch 360° videos and look at 360° pictures while in VR, though, but it's still a flat image projected onto a virtual screen, so it's no different to watching the IMAX version of a 2D film.