Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: TAS Remove Memory Card
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

SmileyMPV

I want to make a TAS movie where I remove the Memory Card at some point. Is this possible? If so, how?

To give some context, I am making a TAS for Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom. A certain trick, called Save Game Glitch or SGG, requires auto save to be enabled. For this I need to select a save slot on the Memory Card to save onto. However, on GameCube the game freezes for multiple seconds every time you collect a Golden Spatula (the main collectable) if auto save is enabled. The only known way to disable auto save is by removing the Memory Card that is being saved onto. Thus, the optimal TAS would start the game without auto save, then when SGG is necessary select a save slot on a Memory Card to enable auto save, and after SGG remove the Memory Card that is being saved onto.
No, unfortunately Dolphin does not have a way to record the act of unplugging a memory card into a DTM file.

SmileyMPV

(07-09-2021, 07:14 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]No, unfortunately Dolphin does not have a way to record the act of unplugging a memory card into a DTM file.

The window for unplugging the memory card is very large, do you think I can do it "by hand," that is, both when recording and when playing back? Or would that likely cause desyncs? I'm not entirely sure, but I think the game only ever uses the Memory Card when it tries to auto save or when I load an existing save. If you can't say without knowing more about the game, I'm probably just going to try it out and see what happens anyways.
My guess is that you probably will get desyncs by doing that, but the only way to know is to test it.