Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Move freelook while paused?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

RavenWorks

Is there any way to reposition the freelook camera without the game state advancing at all? I'd like to take several different views of exactly the same scene, but using the freelook keys while the game is paused doesn't produce any result until the game is unpaused (or frame advanced).

The best solution that I've found is to take a save state, then for each view I want, load that state, and enter a few freelook keystrokes blind, then frame advance until they take effect... this works, but is kind of cumbersome, and it'd be nice to know if there's any kind of "rewind exactly one frame" hotkey that could make viewing a single frame from other viewpoints easier.
Yeah, Free Look is unable to be modified without the graphics being presented to the screen which is currently tied to the game running. I've thought about this feature on numerous occasions. It seems like it would not be trivial to implement, so I've been punting on it until I finish a number of other tasks.
So I do this by recording a fifolog. By playing it back, I can lock it to one frame (though the UI kind of implies two frames i.e. 48-49 but it is one frame) and then move the camera around. It's extremely useful!

RavenWorks

(06-30-2021, 04:43 PM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]So I do this by recording a fifolog. By playing it back, I can lock it to one frame (though the UI kind of implies two frames i.e. 48-49 but it is one frame) and then move the camera around. It's extremely useful!

Oh that sounds great, I hadn't heard about that feature, thank you! I'll look into that soon...

RavenWorks

Finally had a chance to try fifologs, and it's almost perfect -- the one problem (for my purposes) is that the playback doesn't apply the resource packs (i.e. custom textures) that I applied to the original game! Is there any way to get custom textures to apply when playing back a fifolog?
If you take the textures out of the resource pack and place them into the Load/00000000 folder, it should work? Haven't tried it myself for a long time but it should work I think. However that would apply to all fifologs forever so I'd suggest removing the textures from 00000000 when you are done. There probably wouldn't be a conflict due to hashing but, best to be careful.

EDIT: Also pokechu has let me know that the 48-49 thing to render a single frame is no longer the case, 48-48 is now one frame and 48-49 is now two as of mid May. So if you use latest master just use 48-48 as makes sense and it will work.

Spoiler:

RavenWorks

That worked!! Thank you so much Smile

xldvg

(06-30-2021, 04:43 PM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]So I do this by recording a fifolog. By playing it back, I can lock it to one frame (though the UI kind of implies two frames i.e. 48-49 but it is one frame) and then move the camera around. It's extremely useful!

How are you able to use the free cam in fifolog? mine seems to be stuck in place